Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Internet Sharing Large Files/Folders?

I have an account with GoDaddy called Online File Folder. I got it so I could upload large sessions, email someone a password protected link, and they could then download the large file(s). This product works perfectly as I just described. However, I need to be able to have my clients send me large files and Online File Folder is oneway only - I can upload files to the folders but no one else can upload files to my online folders regardless of the settings for permissions?

Is there an online file sharing service where I can have . . . say a folder with a capacity of 100 GB (or maybe larger) that I can upload to but ALSO give a client a means to upload files with an FTP client (or drop box)? This is where my technical expertise fizzles out. Any advice would much appreciated. Thanks.

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Internet Sharing Large Files/Folders?

You could use DropBox, invite your client and easily setup a shared folder. Although such a big account may be pricey.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Internet Sharing Large Files/Folders?

check out gobbler.

https://www.gobbler.com/

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM

I don't routinely send huge files. I'm not sure of the size limits of YouSendit. I have been testing Gobbler and its working fine for my minimal needs. DigiDelivery was popular but seems to have fallen out of favor and appears to largely be abandonware at this point.

There are tons of other options out there with varying costs, levels of security and ease of use.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 PM

After much research with friends who do this on a regular basis, several suggested SugarSync. I signed-up and started using their services and all is working as they said it would. Most of the other "cloud" type on-line storage service providers only offer file sharing oneway - meaning, if you have an account with 30 GB . . . you can upload 10 GB files to that on-line folder for a client to download. However, your clients CANNOT upload files to your on-line folder. This was my issue but has now been resolved by using SugarSync. Thanks to all who commented on my question.

PS. SugarSync is free for up to 5 GB. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS COMPANY:
http://www.sugarsync.com/free/

Video Tutorials for sharing folders:
http://www.sugarsync.com/videos/

Comparison Grid for SugarSync to many other cloud providers:
http://www.sugarsync.com/sync_comparison.html

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdjudd View Post
After much research with friends who do this on a regular basis, several suggested SugarSync. I signed-up and started using their services and all is working as they said it would. Most of the other "cloud" type on-line storage service providers only offer file sharing oneway - meaning, if you have an account with 30 GB . . . you can upload 10 GB files to that on-line folder for a client to download. However, your clients CANNOT upload files to your on-line folder. This was my issue but has now been resolved by using SugarSync. Thanks to all who commented on my question.

PS. SugarSync is free for up to 5 GB. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS COMPANY:
http://www.sugarsync.com/free/

Video Tutorials for sharing folders:
http://www.sugarsync.com/videos/

Comparison Grid for SugarSync to many other cloud providers:
http://www.sugarsync.com/sync_comparison.html
I forgot I have SugarSync. I use it to keep files accessible to my iPad(you know cuz you can't actually just transfer files to the damn thing), My Mac and my Windows machine. 5GB doesn't go a long way if your hosting your own files too. BUT if your willing to pay you can have it syncing folders on both machines. Which is nice.

I signed up for the Gobbler PC Beta and it got delayed for months. When they finally got it running they were very generous with the space. So I have been using that.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Seems like using a web server/FTP server is a lost art.