Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Is PT8 64bit native? And how much RAM can it address?

Hi,

It appears that PT9 is still a 32bit app (seeing it will run on 32bit systems).

Can the support guys confirm if it is a "real" 64 bit app now?

If it is still 32bit then it should only address <4GB RAM regardless of how much is installed in your 64bit PC.....

Can the support guys confirm how much RAM the PT9 app will address?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Is PT8 64bit native? And how much RAM can it address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Hi,

It appears that PT9 is still a 32bit app (seeing it will run on 32bit systems).

Can the support guys confirm if it is a "real" 64 bit app now?

If it is still 32bit then it should only address <4GB RAM regardless of how much is installed in your 64bit PC.....

Can the support guys confirm how much RAM the PT9 app will address?

Thanks
It's still a 32 bit app. IT can still only address up to 4GB of RAM by itself.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks Dan,

Not the answer I wanted but it is the one I expected.....

More work to do yet Mr Avid - native 64bit PT next please.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM

The question is, how much appreciable day-to-day performance boost could be expected from a move to 64bit? I'd be curious to know how often Pro Tools is actually brushing that 2GB ceiling; stop me if I'm wrong but I suspect not terribly often. Also, going 64bit would mean rebuilding the app from the ground up, which would mean a probable drop in stability while they work out the kinks in it. Obviously it has to happen eventually, but I wouldn't want them to go rushing into 64bit for the sake of it.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrad View Post
The question is, how much appreciable day-to-day performance boost could be expected from a move to 64bit? I'd be curious to know how often Pro Tools is actually brushing that 2GB ceiling; stop me if I'm wrong but I suspect not terribly often. Also, going 64bit would mean rebuilding the app from the ground up, which would mean a probable drop in stability while they work out the kinks in it. Obviously it has to happen eventually, but I wouldn't want them to go rushing into 64bit for the sake of it.
For small projects with around 20 tracks, it might if you've got alot going on in PT.

Where as for post production, that memory limit is very restricting. In post, Generally a lot of tracks are used, with hours and hours of audio in the session.

64 bit wont only give a RAM increase, but also a performance increase in the CPU area. As the OS has access to more lanes to the CPU at one time.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM

4 gigs is more than it can address in a 32 bit OS. I've also heard that the few 64 bit DAWS out there are pretty buggy compared to running their 32 bit versions in a 64 bit OS.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrad View Post
Those who use a lot of VI's will hit that limit pretty fast. I consider my own VI use pretty minimal, and I still hit the 4G limit quite often. This release is good for Pro Tools, but it's still paying catch up in many essential areas. W7, and I would imagine this current version of SL, are the last 32-bit OS's we'll see. A 64-bit Pro Tools needs to happen.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM

For a product with a large ecosystem of third-party plug-ins, there can be issues for certain users when you move to a 64-bit application.

Just take a look at Adobe's issues in Photoshop CS5. Plenty of heavy plug-ins are no longer playing nice with the application when run in 64-bit mode. The workaround is to run the application in 32-bit mode. This is self defeating.

For my purposes, 32-bit works fine. I know there are others who are using virtual instruments within Pro Tools that are hitting some memory ceilings, though.

Knowning Avid/Digi's propensity to test heavily, I am sure they are working on it but it might be a while until it is released. It is nice to have products that tend to work well when properly set up, but it is no fun having to wait!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Just curious while on the subject. When running PT 8 in Win XP 32 bit with 4 gigs of RAM, some of us, including myself, took advantage of the 3 Gig switch.
Would it make sense if you are running PT 9 on Win 7 on a 32 bit computer to also use the 3 Gig switch? Is it even possible? If so, would the benefits be the same as with XP?

Lou
Avid Pro Tools Carbon, Eleven Rack (ERXP 2.0.1), Neve Shelford Channel, SSL Fusion Analog processor, Avid S1 Control Surface, Yamaha Montage 7 (also used as a MIDI controller), Korg Prologue 16 and Adam A7X Monitors.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.6, Logic Pro, VEP 7, Exponential Audio. Eventide, FabFilter. iZotope, McDSP, MDW, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Waves.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken26 View Post
Just curious while on the subject. When running PT 8 in Win XP 32 bit with 4 gigs of RAM, some of us, including myself, took advantage of the 3 Gig switch.
Would it make sense if you are running PT 9 on Win 7 on a 32 bit computer to also use the 3 Gig switch? Is it even possible? If so, would the benefits be the same as with XP?

Lou
As far as i know there is no need for a 3GB switch in w7 64 bit, or any 64 bit OS.
Win XP 32 bit has a roof of 4GB, it is set to use 2GB for background tasks and 2GB for programs (such as PT)
A 64 bit os has a limit of 128GB minimum to my knowledge and i would be surprised if they have divided the memory, 126GB for background tasks and 2GB for programs.
Please fill in and help me out if someone knows more about this, but i think i got the general idea right.

P.S Maybe you ment the 32 bit version of W7(if it exists) or what did you mean by "a 32 bit computer"?
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/