Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2022, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Rock-Solid for Years...Now Crashes on Close

I suggest you carefully do each and every AVID Optimization step PLUS each and every AVID Troubleshooting step here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...oting/en349411 For now at least, don't gloss-over a single step.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-18-2022, 10:37 AM

Do you have Quicktime installed? If not, install it.

That exception code is a memory error.

Doesn't mean that it is the physical ram, but if you have other programs crashing, you may want to run a ram check to make sure you don't have a problem with the physical ram.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/test...s-7-79976.html

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-18-2022, 04:17 PM

Ok UPDATE!: The runtime errors have started again (see attached images, usually referring to "insufficient system resources" - it makes me suspect RAM, but the strange thing is that most of the computer seems to work just fine.

AND I ran the RAM test that Benoni suggested (thanks) and everything came back normal.

Also got the Sandra! BUT...running it nearly crashed the machine too. This is the only other thing than ProTools that the machine has had an issue with...is it usually intensive to run?

See attached screenshots-

During the opening of sessions, plugins are being deactivated, and sometimes when I try to open new ones, it says it does not have resources. This is happening across seemingly any random plugins, Waves or stock.

I installed CCleaner and cleaned out the registry several times, ran SuperAntiSpyware, trashed pref and DBs several times...should I update drivers on a system this old?

I remembered yesterday and should have mentioned - I can't say for sure it's related, but I did reconnect and install a Windows update and Google Drive update for rare occasions I back up everything to the cloud. There were no issues until about a month after this, but, maybe related. At any rate, I've uninstalled all of those things and still the error the same way I was before.

So...am I at the point of re-installing ProTools? Can I still authenticate PT8 with my authorization code, and will all the Waves plugins still work or will I have to reinstall them too? I won't lose any session plugin settings if I do, will I?

Thanks for everyone's help...

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : Johanna
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : OEM System Product Name
Serial Number : System Ser**********
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS P8H67-M LE
Serial Number : MF70BAG********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 1002 08/23/2011

System Memory
Total Memory : 8GB DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4C 3.09GHz/3.1GHz, 3.09GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 6MB L3)

Chipset
Memory Controller : N/A 3.09GHz, 8GB DDR3 1.33GHz

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : CL9-9-9 DDR3-1333 4GB DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1332
Memory Module : SanMax Array1_PartNumber1 4GB DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1332

Video System

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
Disk : Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 (525.1GB, SATA300/600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
Disk : Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (1TB, SATA300/600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
Optical : ASUS DRW-24B1ST a (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Logical Storage Devices
Lily (D : 489GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 (525.1GB, SATA300/600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (1TB, SATA300/600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
Corrina (C : 978GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Crucial_CT1050MX300SSD1 (1TB, SATA300/600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
Optical Drive (E : N/A @ ASUS DRW-24B1ST a (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals

Network Services

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Performance Enhancing Tips
Warning 2513 : TPM not detected. Some security features are unavailable.
Tip 3 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SysRes.JPG (25.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (33.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Groove.JPG (50.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Do you have Quicktime installed? If not, install it.

That exception code is a memory error.

Doesn't mean that it is the physical ram, but if you have other programs crashing, you may want to run a ram check to make sure you don't have a problem with the physical ram.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/test...s-7-79976.html
@Benoni - Hi, thanks, which exception code are you referring to? I ran the memory test but everything came back normal. Yes I have Quicktime installed, always been the same for years.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:37 PM

You may be just out of memory, again plugins (with a memory leak) are a suspect there. Again *Always suspect plugins*.

You will likely make faster progress if you try to work stuff out for yourself a little more, you don't need to keep asking folks here what exactly to do when we suggest stuff, Start at the "help us help you link" up the top of each DUC web page, almost all your questions and approach to troubleshooting are answered there. And if not then try googling for stuff if it's not clear.

But... usual plugin troubleshooting is you moving all plugins out of their default folder location, move them anywhere else.. but the "Plug-Ins (Unused)" folder is the default place to put stuff not being used. Then trash prefs and start Pro Tools. What happens when you do that? Ugh old Pro Tools 8 on Windows, where is the plugin folder location... I'll let you Google that for yourself. It's a different location for legacy Digidesign RTAS plugins than modern AAX plugins. I can't even remember if you need to have a mixer plugin present of not, try it and see what happens. After just trying trashing prefs this is one of the next very quick tests you should have done, takes literally minutes to see if any plugin might be the cause here.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:43 PM

From the Sandra report (sorry I missed you just posted that)

You have unmatched memory DIMMs not a good idea, not clue at all that's related to anything here. But the DIMMs really should be identical and the exact DIMMs should be on the motherboard manufacturers qualified list (but don't mix different make/model from that list).

Again, this is getting well ahead of you excluding basic early stuff like plugins.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You may be just out of memory, again plugins (with a memory leak) are a suspect there. Again *Always suspect plugins*.
@Darryl Ramm I'm just providing what was asked for, I've been through the link as you can see by the post before last. Thanks for explaining what you meant about plugins, I will definitely try. When I look at Task Manager, not even half of memory is being used, and I'm not doing anything new that the memory hasn't handled for several years.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
@Benoni - Hi, thanks, which exception code are you referring to? I ran the memory test but everything came back normal. Yes I have Quicktime installed, always been the same for years.
Benoni is clearly referring to the exception code in the screenshot you provided. Cut off at the bottom of the third screenshot. c0000096.. an illegal memory address exception. What could that be caused by... well lots of things... bad code in that DLL, bad code in Pro Tools or a plugin calling that DLL, a plugin (which you don't even need to be using, just have installed) scribbling crap all over memory, etc. So again you should have tried removing plugins ages ago... could it be hardware, yes, maybe but **much** less likely than a software problem.

You can google that Windows exception code, and since Windows is reporting a failure in GrooveIntLResource.dll shared library. You could also Google about that... and find it's microsoft provided DLL.... it's going to be used here either by Pro Tools or a plugin vendor. And there are many posts online about problems caused by old Microsoft office installs with that DLL (not specific to Pro Tools), no clue if any of that's related to your issues. I have no clue if Pro Tools 8 used that library itself of if it's coming used by one of your plugins...you know the quick way to find out? Yes remove all the damned plugins.

Why would things working before break now... well all you need is an update to Windows, to the bad DLL, a plugin update, or install of a new plugin (yes again you don't even need to be using it for it to potentially cause this) or Pro Tools and that could break a perfectly working system. And always suspect/exclude as much software issues you can before suspecting hardware. Now is not quite yet the time to swap disks or memory DIMMs etc.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:03 PM

Do the plugin test *before* reinstalling Pro Tools. Reinstalling Pro Tools should be way down you list, after plugin checking and if Pro Tools itself uses that DLL then maybe investigating where that DLL comes from and if you can get a later (or just known-non buggy--is the version of that DLL you have one with known other issues?) version from Microsoft to test with.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:17 PM

If you still have problems after following all of Darryl’s suggestions, the problem could be associated with QuickTime for Windows.

If you already have QuickTime and Media Composer installed, uninstall both before proceeding. Run CCleaner Registry a few times, until no more issues are found. Restart computer.

Since Apple ended Support for QuickTime for Windows, the workaround has been to do a Custom install of QuickTime Essentials (only!), as described here:

“Installing the bare minimum Quicktime Components Required for Pro Tools”:
https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/apple-q...security-risk/

Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_GB

Re-install Media Composer (if required)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!