Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM

Default Sync venue rack's time to NTP server?

Has anyone been successful in setting up a Venue (in our case we have a Mix Rack) so that its time of day is synchronized to an external time server?

This would be a simple matter in standard XP, but even when exiting the Venue program to the OS, a lot of those OS settings seem to be cut out or disabled.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Avid

Default Re: Sync venue rack's time to NTP server?

Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately I don't think this will be possible. The OS on systems is stripped down to the bare essentials, and many features are disabled in order to provide a predictable, stable environment. Also, the systems are minimally protected against malicious internet intrusions. Again, this is by design so that the OS processes don't interfere with or degrade the response of the system software. Leaving the console connected to the internet for extended periods could increase the risk of intrusion.

Sheldon
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Avid

That moment when you're going to post a possible solution, but Sheldon says it's not recommended
Old 01-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Well, ours is connected to a protected corporate network. It would be nice to have it agree with the corporate time server.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Steel View Post
Well, ours is connected to a protected corporate network. It would be nice to have it agree with the corporate time server.
NTP service is present and running in VENUE systems, but it doesn't have any configuration interface. It's by default set up to synchronize with time.microsoft.com, if available.

If you want to change a server, you need to edit registry:
  1. Exit to Desktop (Press "Shut Down" on "Options->System" while holding Ctrl)
  2. Run Registry Editor: C:\Windows\regedit.exe
  3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
  4. Change value of "NtpServer" from "time.windows.com,0x1" to "your.server.name,0x1"
  5. Reboot
Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Avid

Thanks Valentyn,

I'm going to reiterate that this is NOT recommended. The systems are not intended to be connected to the Internet, and the OS components should be kept in their default state.

Sheldon
Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 PM

What I have noticed is that when I had my Venue Profile setup with a manually supplied network address the Venue clock drifted by about a 20 seconds a month. But after our latest network upgrade I switched to an an automatically supplied network address and now find the Venue time is always correct. A bit of network sniffing informed me that the DHCP server in the network switch was telling network devices to use the local network switch as a time server, so it seems that the Venue is happy to configure itself from the information provided by the DHCP server. In my network the switch is configured so the Venue can't see the internet, but the laptop that I use to access the Venue by VNC can see the internet.

Mark
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Ours is working well with the NTP server specified through the registry. I know that it is synchronizing because we keep it powered off when not in use. Immediately after powering on, the clock is off by seconds, but soon is correct again.

I recognize that there are risks involved, but the advantages of VNC access are worth having the console connected to our (private, secure) network. Once it is accepted that the console is on the network then NTP is a very small additional risk that saves the annoyance of fixing a drifting clock on a regular basis.