Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up Elastic Audio

Used it a bit before but never really pushed it too hard until now.
Had a nasty multi-tracked drum session along with gtrs and bass. It wasn't tracked to a click and was fairly aggressive punk. The gtrs and bass were together but the drums were pretty bad.

They didn't want to quantize it so I made a tempo-map from the gtr track. Tempo varied from 167-175.
I was pulling my hair out trying to beat-detective it...the problem was the room mics.

I finally went to EA, and in less time than it took to make the tempo-map I had half the song lined up.

It worked GREAT...especially lining up the transients on the OH's without losing the room sound.

Considering that this afternoon I was 'bout ready to call it quits and tell the guys they suck...I learned some great tips using EA and have a happy band.
(But really guys, spend more time tracking properly and leave less up to the magic of audio-editing)

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio

Congratulations. You are now a skilled turd polisher. Sad how we have to resort to this, but I make a lot of money doing just what you did today. Its a marketable skill you are developing. Kudos for diving in without a click(or a net).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Congratulations. You are now a skilled turd polisher. Sad how we have to resort to this, but I make a lot of money doing just what you did today. Its a marketable skill you are developing. Kudos for diving in without a click(or a net).
LOL!! I thought all along that we learn PT so that we can polish turds!!!

Sometimes I even polish my own turds!!! (but only the audio ones!!)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Cool!

Gotta say, I recently had a similar awesome experience with some of my own less than perfect guitar tracks. Sure helps to have fast rhythmic (staccato even) tracks to work with. My previous experiences with EA were what I thought they'd be... disappointing and choppy.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pro View Post

They didn't want to quantize it so I made a tempo-map from the gtr track. Tempo varied from 167-175.
I was pulling my hair out trying to beat-detective it...the problem was the room mics.

I finally went to EA, and in less time than it took to make the tempo-map I had half the song lined up.

It worked GREAT...especially lining up the transients on the OH's without losing the room sound.

77, Can you elaborate on the process?

I've just been getting into EA with a click tracked song...also checked out a video on multitracked drums being time corrected in EA WITHOUT a click...but a WHOLE band?

It sounds like a lot of WARP transient movement individually!

-Thx
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturphy View Post
Cool!

Gotta say, I recently had a similar awesome experience with some of my own less than perfect guitar tracks. Sure helps to have fast rhythmic (staccato even) tracks to work with. My previous experiences with EA were what I thought they'd be... disappointing and choppy.
A little note on working EA on guitar tracks, especially distorted rock guitar. I always track a clean, direct guitar in addition to my miked guitar (I like have a track to re-amp, etc.) and use that to guide my EA on my miked track. The transients are detected better on the direct track leading to much cleaner EA work.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 PM

About that distorted guitar sound.
I just started using PT for a new album tracking this month. Had no problem quantising lousy drum tracks, had no problem recording bass DI gitar with a slowed down tempo of a song to increase precission in players lack of skill. Started tracking guitars with multi-mike setup (one channel DI, for editing and reamping purposes, the other channel sm57 and senn e609 on the third channel). Everything worked quite nice until today`noticing that Elastic time actually heavily mess with those two mike channels phase. Whatever i do, however small warp adjustment, it causes heavy flanger & chorus like effects while listening to those two mikes recorded simultaneously . I tried consolidating & commiting EA, tried X-Form, always the same, heavy phasing issues. Can this be avoided? I just record those 3 channels in one take, and when i start warp hand quantizing, the phases between those two mikes fall to hell.
please help, already recorded half of tracks listening only to one mike, without noticing the size of a problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 PM

You've got to make sure the markers are aligned (vertically) on each of the gtr. tracks. Even though they were tracked at the same time, it's unlikely that the warp markers are in exactly the same place.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM

and i do this by copying analysis markers from one track to another?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 AM

anytime possible, i record a di track along with my guitars. i then do any manipulation i have to do to the di track, and then reamp it. the transients are 1000 times better on the di track to work with as well. this is the only way i found to keep all the rythm tracks completey in phase. there may be other ways, but this works 100% of the time for me

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10