Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Copying notes without erasing already set velocity

I'm having to do a lot of manual corrections to a track made on piano due to the player being unable to actually play on time, and quantizing is really not cutting it.

I'm on PT m-powered 7.4 and I would like to be able to correct a two bar section that repeats itself for a while, and then just duplicate it over the existing notes but without overwriting the velocity that is already set. Is there a way to do this or I'm stuck doing it manually?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Copying notes without erasing already set velocity

If I'm not mistaken (Beat Detective) Extracting Groove Templates copies and pastes Velocity.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM

So let's see if I get this straight. You're saying that I should use beat detective to get the velocity (not speaking of the beat speed here, but the midi velocity of a note) of an entire section, copy it and then paste it somewhere else so I can then re-paste it over the section once it's corrected?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM

The method extracts a Groove that carries Velocity. This Groove is then applied to the same length MIDI Region. Extracting Groove Templates is covered in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM

The problem that I'm facing is that he's not in time, groove apart (which there's non even after 14 takes), he just seems to be having trouble with keeping the timing of the part. The rest of the song is excellent, just that part. So taking the groove wont help me I think. What I need is a way to separate the midi velocity, save it somewhere, then fix the timing issues, copy that part over until the end of the section and copy back the velocity over it. If it's at all possible.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM

I haven't done this for years but I'm pretty sure you can select only Velocity to be applied. Alternatively, try Flatten Performance check Velocity and adjust the timing then Restore Performance check Velocity.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 PM

I'll try this out. Just hope I won't lose the velocity that was recorded as plaid. Well there's always undo but still.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
I'll try this out. Just hope I won't lose the velocity that was recorded as plaid. Well there's always undo but still.
Duplicate the track and even export the MIDI performance.