Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Calibrate Pro Tools to give more headroom for Mic Preamp?

I have recently purchased a Chandler TG2 preamp and I am experiencing an issue that forces me to dial-down the output coming out of the preamp, thus compromising its sound.

The Chandler pre is patched directly into the inputs of my 002. Once the tracks are pulled up and record enabled, even though I have the gain of the input set fully counter-clockwise on the 002, the output going out of the preamp is too much for the 002 and I have to back off the preamp’s output as the levels in the track go through the roof. It's ok when running the input of the preamp low as the output is more usable (and handled better by the 002), but as soon as I want to add more grit by turning up the input gain of the pre, I have to back off the output to around '1' in order to have some kind of controllable sound into the 002. I want to be able to have the headroom in Pro tools so I can use the Preamp (and other outboard gear) to its full sonic potential.

Is there a way I can calibrate 002 so that I can have more headroom to run the mic pre hotter, whilst not blowing the levels to the point of massive distortion and clipping?

NB: the Chandler TG2 pre does not have a VU meter…
Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Calibrate Pro Tools to give more headroom for Mic Preamp

Well you should use Analog inputs 5-8 on your 002 from the output of your external Pre. which you can run at +4 or -20 if your Chandler only has XLR outputs - you'll want to buy a pair of Balanced XLR to TRS cables to patch into the Analog In's of your 002.

Even going in "Line Level" on your 002 - is "Double Pre-amping" your signal.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Talking about preamps... I have two questions, i`m using a digi 003, when i record an electric guitar using the third Mic, the resultand sound is a kind of loud.... any advise to have better sound with this instrument....

Well my second question is about the plugs 5 to 8... as everybody knows these aren`t preamplifieds.... What is the best way to use these inputs, and how to use them turning up their gain????

Ahhhhh,,,, one more question... about sorround... our interfaces do not soport sorround? .... if not how can you simulate sorround using protools le ?

I`ll apreaciate any help

regards

Winston Paul.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Talking about preamps... I have two questions, i`m using a digi 003, when i record an electric guitar using the third Mic, the resultand sound is a kind of loud.... any advise to have better sound with this instrument....
You'd need to post more about your setup and how you're recording/micing your guitar(s) before anyone could help.

Quote:
Well my second question is about the plugs 5 to 8... as everybody knows these aren`t preamplifieds.... What is the best way to use these inputs, and how to use them turning up their gain????
They obviously don't have gain, so they are traditionally used for connecting keyboards or other rack gear that operates at line level. You can change them from +4 to -10 depending on what kind of gear you're interfacing with though.

Quote:
Ahhhhh,,,, one more question... about sorround... our interfaces do not soport sorround? .... if not how can you simulate sorround using protools le ?
You can't. In order to do surround in ProTools you need to move to an HD system.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
You can't. In order to do surround in ProTools you need to move to an HD system.

[/QUOTE]

There is a software surround panner that goes some way towards helping LE users handle surround sound,

Neyrinck Audio

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 12-27-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Slim But....
Of course you can do surround projects in LE

After you have setup and calibrated your surround speakers
Preferred I/O is......
Outputs
1 = L
2 = R
3 = C
4 = LFE
5 = Ls
6 = Rs

Create 6 Mono tracks to record to
labele to correspond with I/O above
Assign Outputs =
Track 1 = Left speaker = output 1
Track 2 = Right speaker = output 2
ETC.
Asign Bus inputs to these tracks corresponding with the output numbers
example:
Track 1 (L) will have an input "bus 1"
Track 2 (R) will have an input "bus 2"
Track 3 (C) will have an input "bus 3"
ETC.

So, now any track you want to go to the center speaker assign output "bus 3"
any track you want to go to the L&R speakers assign output "bus 1&2"

This is a very basic explanation of how you can set up for working in surround.
You can also see that you can customize you setup with the I/O pages for your own personal preference.
The only real limitation with LE is that you can not create 6 channel surround tracks therefore can not do fancy panning (not easily anyway).

hope this helps
Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Yes, I'm aware of all the work-around etc. to 'do' surround in PTLE, however with the limited bus and track count, it's not actually feasible to 'work' in surround as one would do in HD in a real world situation. Anyone who has mixed/printed stems for 5.1 surround projects would understand this. The fact that you can't use/create 5.1 channel tracks (as mentioned by previous poster) or surround-enabled reverbs/fx also makes this point pretty much moot.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Well you should use Analog inputs 5-8 on your 002 from the output of your external Pre. which you can run at +4 or -20 if your Chandler only has XLR outputs - you'll want to buy a pair of Balanced XLR to TRS cables to patch into the Analog In's of your 002.

Even going in "Line Level" on your 002 - is "Double Pre-amping" your signal.
Yes. Change analog input #5 to +4 on the back of the 002. Should solve your problem.