Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Screen or monitor flickering

Anyone having the issue with your monitor flickering randomly once PT is open? EXTREMELY frustrating and it seems I also have some audio files that simply disappeared but that could be to user error when using "save copy in". WEIRD. The flicker thing could be a power issue in the room I have all my gear. Not sure what to do though as it is very frustrating. I have no other programs that make the monitor flicker except PT. Thanks in advance.

My setup:

PT 7.1.1
Mac OS X 10.4.8
Digi002
External firewire drive and two internal firewire in
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

I've been a PT user since my first beige mac (switched from Cakewalk 1.0 back sometime around the mid 90's! I've seen SO many problems with each computer I purchase and each PT "upgrade" but this is just annoying.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Screen or monitor flickering

Strange. I have not seen this problem reported so I doubt if it is a PT software bug. I'd put another monitor on line and see if it does the flicker. Or if no other monitor, check the connections. You could also try changing your monitor resolutions.

Have you tried a search to locate those disappearing files?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM

what monitor are you using and how is it connected?

back lights on LCDs that are on there last leg will flicker

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM

The monitor flicker only happens when I'm in a PT session using 7.1.1 and namely, when recording. I've tried changing MANY on screen prefs (like keeping each track to be viewed small, not having the transport on the screen during record, etc...old school tricks/workarounds). I have the original 22" cinema display and have to use the $100 apple cable coverter in order to use the display with my Mac Dual-Core Intel Xeon. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my monitor so I was basically forced to chose this route when finally upgrading my Mac since it was either that or buy a new monitor. I am seriously thinking it is a power issue in my house but find it really odd that it only happens when I open a PT file. To my knowledge, it hasn't affected the actual recording of the tracks.

About the missing files: I have a feeling it was entirely user error and here's why: I created a session with ten mono tracks for a drum/guitar duo that was recording here at my house. I set up the session with each track how I liked 'em (master, auxs, labeled kick, snare, etc.), recorded the first of eleven songs, saved the file to its intended location with the SONG title for the name. The original file named SESSION was created on my desktop...turned out to be an oops. I did a Save Copy In and am afraid that the next step is what did in the first two TITLED SONG sessions...

I opened the original file that was on my desktop named Session. I DELETED the audio content from those files THINKING they had been moved to their new location when I used SAVE COPY IN. I removed all from the hard drive and well...I'm thinking they were still pointing to the files I needed in the saved song files. Live and Learn. Are there any fail safe tricks to making SURE the audio tracks are where they should be? I should have known better than to delete from the hard drive until finished with the recording of all eleven songs but my bad. The first two hours of recording were by far their LEAST BEST efforts so maybe it was fate...and I'm nice (sarcasm abounds). Being a drummer and listening to this guy's inability to play with a click was KILLING me so my inner nemesis self must have sabotaged those sessions.

I'm still hoping someone might have a fix besides to tell me "uh...you need a new monitor" since I don't except in the world of PT. With all the surrounding rumors of a change in the tides for Digi users, I'd HATE to think of myself as having to finally migrate to the OTHER guys' software since I, along with SO MANY like me, have been such a loyal digi user ('97 to current and making every upgrade along the way until recently). Thanks for reading. Therapy ain't cheap so I'm happy to have the DUC.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Is this the problem?

Pro Tools LE 7.0cs1 for Mac OS X release notes.
Pro Tools LE 7.0cs1 for Mac OS X 10.4 added the following:

Fixed: Track Meters Flicker When Processor Setting Is Dual-RTAS (Item #70647)

Flicker could occur on stereo meters when tracks were set to "no input" with pre-fader metering disabled. Note - this does not occur with single processor RTAS setting.

What about this?

pt has started flickering as if a finger was constantly pushing the left pointing arrow key, everything wants to veer to the left??? it just behaves like this in pt. no buttons are unknowingly being pressed either. for example when i want to open a session and go to file>open recent the sub menu flashs at a really fast rate and for instance adding a new track the 1 in #of tracks which is usually highlighted isn't and can't be deleted easily as the cursor is always pulling to the left and when it comes to exiting and asks to save it constantly changes option as if repeatedly pressing the tab key???
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.