Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Edit/Mix window bank to selected layout?

Curious if anyone knows a way to bank the edit/mix window to the faders of a selected EUCON layout? Currently my workflow is to select the layout on the Dock and then ctrl-shift select the first track on my S3 to scroll the faders into view in the edit window. It'd be great if all I had to do was select the layout for that to happen.

FYI, I have Edit and Mix windows follow bank selection selected in my prefs.

Thx!
J.R.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Edit/Mix window bank to selected layout?

It's bad to assume your layout is even in the same order that it'd show up on your edit or mix window. I think this is why it's not a function.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 09-15-2020, 06:32 PM

Ryan is right. Most people use layouts to "cherry pick" tracks from all over a sessions. Banking would be impossible.

Perhaps you should be looking at VCA spill instead?
Old 09-16-2020, 02:47 PM

Good point Ryan, I hadn't considered that since I'm not using them that way. I just see the highlights around my tracks the same way as I would if I were to bank them and assumed that the edit/mix window would follow.

Lynn, I do use VCA's as well but liked layouts better because they retained the track colours and I liked instantly selecting them from the Dock instead of spilling/unspilling/spilling to change groups.

Thx!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Good point Ryan, I hadn't considered that since I'm not using them that way. I just see the highlights around my tracks the same way as I would if I were to bank them and assumed that the edit/mix window would follow.

Lynn, I do use VCA's as well but liked layouts better because they retained the track colours and I liked instantly selecting them from the Dock instead of spilling/unspilling/spilling to change groups.

Thx!
You can spill a VCA with one touch from AC as well. There is a preference in Eucon to enable this. You can also go from one VCA spill to the next without having to unspill the previous. I am not sure why your track colors are not retained during a VCA spill. Mine are.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:16 PM

Thanks Lynn, I'll check that preference. I've always spilled the VCA's from the S3 by double clicking the select button.

The track colours might be an S3 thing, whenever I unspill a VCA it turns them green, I'm assuming to indicate that you have a VCA spilt.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Thanks Lynn, I'll check that preference. I've always spilled the VCA's from the S3 by double clicking the select button.

The track colours might be an S3 thing, whenever I unspill a VCA it turns them green, I'm assuming to indicate that you have a VCA spilt.

Ah, youre right. The little chicklets turn green during a spill. Us S1 people have the advantage of the color meter display. The things you dont notice til you look.