Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Using one signal to lower the volume of a second signal for distance learning?

Maybe a gate with a sidechain would work like that. When you use some handsfree phones, it sounds like there's a gate working...

There are also feedback killer boxes, but i think they are just an EQ with a very sharp dip that is adjustable to match the feedback frequency.

good luck!

Bastiaan
Old 04-22-2003, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Using one signal to lower the volume of a second signal for distance learning?

i agree you would want a gate not a comp.
maybe just 1/3 octave eq would do the trick as well?
that the usuall feedback killer
Old 04-22-2003, 01:34 PM

How do you key a gate so that when one lets audio threw, the other one is closed off? All I know is that you can make another gate close at the same time that the first gate is closing, thats keying right? I don't want both gates to be closed at the same time, I want to have one close when the other opens. Thats why I thought a compressor might do the trick because it would start compressing one side when the other went above the threshold.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:50 PM

Set it so that it only opens up when someone actually speaks, and let that be gated. So no speaking = gate closed, speaking will open the gate.

People usually dont speak at the same time, so i think it will work. And yes, it will take a little training for all the people involved...

And the gate doesnt have to be closed all the way down, but just a reduction in level. It is very much possible to have an open (no headsets) connection with no feedback (i do it every week...director talking to presentor, speaker on the floor, speaker in the controlroom), but you have to watch the levels very very carefully, and there the gate will help.

Bastiaan
Old 04-22-2003, 05:29 PM

Hi Calvin
I think you are looking for a gate with a ducking function. In duck mode the gate is always open until it gets signal at the key input then it closes.
Roly
Old 04-22-2003, 05:41 PM

I agree with Roly, 'ducking' is what you are after. You want the gate to pass the main signal all the time but to 'duck' the main signal when someone askes a question (routed into the gate sidechain).

The Drawmer DS201 would work perfectly in this situation and you get two gates in one rack space with inbuilt key filters. You could use one side for the question mic (as a gate) and the other side for your main program set to duck.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 04-22-2003, 08:18 PM

thanks, the "ducking" is what I am looking for. I just didn't know what it was called. Thanks alot guys.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:54 AM

Default Using one signal to lower the volume of a second signal for distance learning?

Hey guys,
I'm working on designing a distance learning system for the College of Dentistry where I work. One of the rooms is pretty easy to do, but the second one is a larger lecture hall that can hold about 120 people. The only thing that we are worried about is some feedback over distance learning. I know that if I got 2 compressors I could have one compressor on the audio comming in, it could key the second compressor on the lecture hall's audio so that the kids on the other end can ask a question without getting feedback. Is there a better way to do this? I would like something that just took the level down instead of compressing it, but I'm not sure what would do that. Any Ideas? Thanks for any help guys.