Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Soundminer importing only partial files

Anyone know what may be causing SM to (seemingly intermittently) import only a short section of a file instead of the entire file? (I'm using the lite version of SM4).
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Soundminer importing only partial files

What version of PT?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
Anyone know what may be causing SM to (seemingly intermittently) import only a short section of a file instead of the entire file? (I'm using the lite version of SM4).
Are you talking about the imported files in SoundMiner's database are partials? Are you sure that the files themselves are not partials?

IMDb (very partial)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

I'm on 8.0.4 MAC OS 10.5.8 PTHD3 Accel

When I go to import say a BG ambience track that might be 1.5 minutes in length, sometimes it just brings the file into my region bin but it's only about 6 to 10 seconds of the file. I go back and re-import the file a 2nd time and the full file comes in. The files themselves are fine, not partials.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM

I'm sorry for this, just making sure its not a user error thing. When you have a short selection highlighted, SM brings in the whole file but shortens the regions to your selection length. The whole file is there when you pull out the handle. And, if you have a selection of SM's audition field highlighted , only that much may be imported into PT. That's not what you are having trouble with, it is?

I think an associate of mine has complained of the same thing but I've never seen it.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 PM

I forget to clear selections in PT all the time. If there is a selection in the timeline, SM will in fact import the whole file, but it shows up as a region in the PT region list. If you do as Postman says and drag out the handles, you will see the region go bold in the list and now the whole file is there. (even though it always was)

Strange, but that's what happens.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FajitaTone View Post
I forget to clear selections in PT all the time. If there is a selection in the timeline, SM will in fact import the whole file, but it shows up as a region in the PT region list. If you do as Postman says and drag out the handles, you will see the region go bold in the list and now the whole file is there. (even though it always was)

Strange, but that's what happens.
If you have a selection in SM, the same thing happens.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I'm sorry for this, just making sure its not a user error thing. When you have a short selection highlighted, SM brings in the whole file but shortens the regions to your selection length. The whole file is there when you pull out the handle. And, if you have a selection of SM's audition field highlighted , only that much may be imported into PT. That's not what you are having trouble with, it is?

I think an associate of mine has complained of the same thing but I've never seen it.
I'm aware of that, and it "could" be that, but I don't typically make selections in SM. I pretty much import the entire clip and edit in PT. It's possible I might have some part selected in PT before I switch over, but it doesn't allow me to extend the region after import typically. It probably is something I'm doing like that on occasion and just not noticing. Guess I might need to slow down on occasion. :) Just wasn't sure if it was operator error or software glitch.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM

amiller

AS a general rule, when using SM, drag and drop the PT session doc onto Soundminer. this teaches SM where everything is supposed to go and in what format. PT is very sensitive to format differences so if your transfer parameters don't match, PT intercedes and makes new files. check your destination to make sure there aren't two of everything as well.

Turn 'zero selection' on in the SM preference pane as well.

I've never seen a partial go in unless the edit was designated in PT or SM.