Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Convince me PT was not a mistake.

For those that were helpful thank you. I have it running well enough for doing my final compressions. For those who were complete [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s I just figured I would say this. If you feel you have already done your best to help me and I am just "not getting it" then congratulations you've done your part. Why you would continue to post is a mystery to me. I use my email as my login because this email account is dedicated to forums and social networking sites. Its already out there and easily attainable. Ironically it doesnt get that much spam, but even if it did I really could care less. Its become apparent that for future issues I should avoid this site as it seems people dont log on to socialize and help, they just log on to snipe and demonstrate their superiority or at least attempt to. Life is frustrating at times for all of us, but I assure you, logging in to forums and bullying people is no way to resolve your personal issues. Seek professional help. Thats it. Thread closed!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 PM

sorry your experience was bumpy, but I'm glad you're up and running. cheers.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Sorry you feel that way. Folks really did offer to help.. Though it may not seem like it.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

And from the pages of the FIRST thread of suggestions: (As in, "We ain't making this stuff up...")
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
And from the pages of the FIRST thread of suggestions: (As in, "We ain't making this stuff up...")
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic.
And YES YOU CAN get it up & running with only the internal harddrive of a laptop, but you'll be in -6068 land more than is humanly safe!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM

To the OP and the title of this thread:

I do not believe that Pro Tools is a mistake as long as you are prepared to accept some basic realities. Pro Tools is fussy and requires a certain amount of tweaking, it requires multiple hard drives (at least 2) and very specific hardware. For example, I have a system that ran 8.0.1 on XP very well. But when I decided to run W7/64 I got errors, distortion, and crashes on the same computer. Within a couple of weeks however I was running smoothly on W7. About $500, worth of hardware changes and 2 weeks of testing was all it took. I feel it was worth it. But for those not interested in the adventure into beta land, I strongly suggest XP/32.

EDIT: all this was of course on the test rig, I don't suggest playing this game with your daily work rig.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
To the OP and the title of this thread:

I do not believe that Pro Tools is a mistake as long as you are prepared to accept some basic realities. Pro Tools is fussy and requires a certain amount of tweaking, it requires multiple hard drives (at least 2) and very specific hardware.
+1
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 AM

The people here gave you good advice.

But, yeah, it's always a great idea to attack everyone else for YOUR problems. That's always the best way to handle things. Enjoy your future issues that the big ol meanies at the DUC were trying to help you resolve.