Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2022, 03:08 PM

Default 2022.9/Melodyne: how to know which clip I'm editing?

Is there any way to tell which clip I'm editing in the Melodyne window? E.g. the Clip Effects tab has the clip's name in the top left. But the Melodyne tab has nothing there. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? How can you tell?
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 09-29-2022, 03:44 PM

Default Re: 2022.9/Melodyne: how to know which clip I'm editing?

In the Melodyne Tab -> Options Menu -> check "Follow Selection in DAW" and "Zoom to Selection In DAW".

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-29-2022, 04:09 PM

Yes! That is so cool, can have vocal comping undone and still use Melodyne. Changes in vocal comping easily tunable. Very very VERY cool.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the answer, but that actually works a little bit strangely. If you're Melodyne editing two different tracks, and you click in one or the other in the timeline, it doesn't actually change what is showing in the editor pane. If you actually *select* something in the timeline, then it switches. But if I'm working on a phrase between two tracks, it seems like I should be able to just click to switch. That's how the MIDI Editor works, at least...
Old 09-30-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes! That is so cool, can have vocal comping undone and still use Melodyne. Changes in vocal comping easily tunable. Very very VERY cool.
Had not thought about that, now I can comp and tune in one go, very very useful, will try that tonight.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Thanks for the answer, but that actually works a little bit strangely. If you're Melodyne editing two different tracks, and you click in one or the other in the timeline, it doesn't actually change what is showing in the editor pane. If you actually *select* something in the timeline, then it switches. But if I'm working on a phrase between two tracks, it seems like I should be able to just click to switch. That's how the MIDI Editor works, at least...
I've notice that as well, I am now selecting in the timeline what I am going to tune.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
same for me. I had 2 vocal tracks that were recorded simultaneously on 2 separate mics. so was hoping I could just "tune" them together since they are the same notes to begin with and should end up the same after tuning. but soon found out I had to do each one separately and then the results are slightly different too (and there is phasing...even though I used the exact same settings - it was Melodyne's detection that is different). Of course this would probably do the same thing using the old method (where I had the plugin on 2 different tracks and processed them separately). I was just hoping it might link it since I had the tracks grouped. oh well...
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 09-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkosacek View Post
same for me. I had 2 vocal tracks that were recorded simultaneously on 2 separate mics. so was hoping I could just "tune" them together since they are the same notes to begin with and should end up the same after tuning. but soon found out I had to do each one separately and then the results are slightly different too (and there is phasing...even though I used the exact same settings - it was Melodyne's detection that is different). Of course this would probably do the same thing using the old method (where I had the plugin on 2 different tracks and processed them separately). I was just hoping it might link it since I had the tracks grouped. oh well...

In this case, I'd recommend putting the two mono tracks together into one stereo track, and then tuning that. You can just make a new stereo audio track and drag the two mono clips (together) into the stereo track. This way the exact same adjustments are made to the two channels, and you won't end up with tuning differences or phasing issues. You can then process them separately with multi-mono plugins, or you can tune them and then drag them back into mono tracks, whichever works better for you.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
In this case, I'd recommend putting the two mono tracks together into one stereo track, and then tuning that. You can just make a new stereo audio track and drag the two mono clips (together) into the stereo track. This way the exact same adjustments are made to the two channels, and you won't end up with tuning differences or phasing issues. You can then process them separately with multi-mono plugins, or you can tune them and then drag them back into mono tracks, whichever works better for you.
good idea, may try that next time
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com