Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)

Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)

This is a bug from the PT 12.8.3 read me which just bit my system last night.
PT 2018.1 Sierra 10.12.6 MAC. Happens in systems with 100's of plugins.
So definitely not fixed in 2018.1 !
Below is the workaround from the 12.8.3 Readme:

• Move approximately 100 plug-ins (or more) from the Plug-Ins folder to the Plug-Ins (Unused) folder (/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/).
• Launch Pro Tools.
• Quit Pro Tools.
• Move the plug-ins back from the Plug-Ins (Unused) folder to the Plug-Ins folder.
• Launch Pro Tools.

Why does PT have this and other vunerabilities involving plug ins??
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)

It's likely the problem is with the plugin, not Pro Tools. Which plugin is attempting to load when Pro Tools quits? That's probably the problem plugin.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
It's likely the problem is with the plugin, not Pro Tools. Which plugin is attempting to load when Pro Tools quits? That's probably the problem plugin.
Move that plugin that's being loaded when PT crashes into your unused folder and PT should load. I've had that happen to me as well due to problematic plugins.

Also when clearing my preferences PT for some reason don't like to load all my plugins again so some will crash and after PT loads I have to quit and relaunch and the crashed plugins will load the second time around.

In the past, PT was trying to load so many plugins (several hundred or so after clearing pref. but I uninstalled many used plugins since then) it would crash, so where the plugin or a little before where the crash would happen during launch I would move that plugin and all the plugins after that to a folder on my desktop, then launch PT again, after PT boots close PT then place all the other plugins back into my plugins folder and launch PT again. PT would launch as normal at that point and I was good after that.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:47 PM

No, it is not a particular plugin. When I first experienced the crashes, that's exactly what I did: removed the plugin that threw the error message, then another one, and another down the line. No luck. Did as the read me says and it ended the crashes, then added the suspect plugins back ( Soundtoys and Waves ! ) and they work just fine. It has to do with the number of plugins.
I'm posting it because it's a known bug which has not been fixed.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:17 PM

I have a lot of plugins too and this is a known bug.

However, for those of you with "problem sessions":
HOLD SHIFT while you open Pro Tools (it will animate the App Icon slowly)
This opens the session with all plugins inactive.

Then, reactivate your inserted plugins one-at-a-time using command & control + a mouseclick, or, add option too and do each insert letter at a time

Eventually, you'll find the inserted plugin(s) that is causing the "pro tools won't open" issue.

I had a heck of a time tracking down AMPLITUBE 3 that was on inactive tracks on some sessions.
After removing all of the Amplitube 3 plugs the sessions perform normally.

A sidenote: I have AMPLITUBE 4 now and it behaves, although Pro Tools often stops playback when changing presets on Amplitube 4, which is a drag.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:28 AM

You're probably here because you trashed your PT preferences in bulk and when PT opened for the first time after it had to initialize then load so many plug-ins, that it has troubles and hangs. It's not due to any specific plug-in. Doesn't matter what version of PT or what OS, this works.

Here's what you do. Move ALL your plugins to the Plug-in (Unused) folder or create a new temporary unused one. Then open PT. It'll open pretty quick. Quit it. Then move about 75 plugins at a time back into the Plug-ins folder, each time opening and closing PT. If you have a lot of plug-ins you will have to repeat this process a few times. Took me about 30 minutes with about 400 plugins.