Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Avid

Default Re: CPU Overload! Help!!!

Quote:
I was able to get it to work when daisy chained on the 400
Just to be clear - were you chained after the drive on the FW400 port of the computer? So FW400 port of computer to FW400 port on drive, then out the other FW400 port on the drive to the 2626?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Now when you say 'all the time' - that sounds like it's a rather frequent error, but then you say 'once you clear it it runs fine for a long time'. A bit confusing.

I've definitely seen random (as in once a session or several hours) 6101's on some systems (most don't ever see the error) and we're looking into the cause of those, but they should be infrequent enough as to not be a burden on the session.
I'll say that this description matches my experience. I'll also say that description is similar to my description.
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Interface Focusrite Saffire PRO 24
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
No problem. I should have been more clear. I got these errors while using a MBP (late 2008 model) connected to the 2626 (400 port) with a LaCie Big disc daisy chained to the 2626.

tg
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
No problem. I should have been more clear. I got these errors while using a MBP (late 2008 model) connected to the 2626 (400 port) with a LaCie Big disc daisy chained to the 2626.

I tried my drive on the 800 port, with the 2626 on the 400, but that didn't work. I tried flipping this around with an 400 to 800 adapter on the 2626, but that didn't work. I was told by the folks at M-Audio that the 2626 was problematic when trying to run it on the 400 port with a drive running simultaneously on the 800 port.

My bluetooth and airport were off. I was able to get it to work when daisy chained on the 400, but would receive errors intermittently, and sometimes the 2626 would loose connection to the MBP.

I've experienced none of these issues using a USB device...

tg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Just to be clear - were you chained after the drive on the FW400 port of the computer? So FW400 port of computer to FW400 port on drive, then out the other FW400 port on the drive to the 2626?
For your info.........the drive in question ( LaCie Big disc) has only one FW400 port and I'm sure It's also configured as some RAID device so It's not possible to have the 2626 last in the chain which is the recommended setup.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Avid

Quote:
For your info.........the drive in question ( LaCie Big disc) has only one FW400 port and I'm sure It's also configured as some RAID device so It's not possible to have the 2626 last in the chain which is the recommended setup.
Um. That's your problem. Pro Tools does not support RAID of any sort. Additionally if you're still not using it in the recommended configuration, it's likely that is contributing to your problems.

Get a drive with 2 firewire 400 ports, no RAID and try it again - I bet your success rate goes up exponentially.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Z View Post
It's not just iMacs and and it's not just external FW400/800 drives.

My dual-core 2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with two internal drives (one for system, one strictly for media such as ProTools sessions) gets the 6101 all the time. It's just a one-off error for me and once I clear it it runs fine for a long time, but it does happen. It happened yesterday with a session that is all MIDI tracks except for one analog audio bass track; 1 EZ Drummer track, 3 or 4 Structure Free tracks and an Xpand2 track.

I've decided it is an error message thrown in error, i.e. the system isn't really overloaded, it's a bug that makes the system stop and then throws the error, because after I click "OK" (it's not OK, but I click it anyway) my system just cruises along without any other changes made to it or the session.
Hey Digi Tech Support,

What Alan Z means by saying he gets the 6101 all the time and then it runs fine for a long time is that the error happens once to a fresh session and then never again during that session even if you run that session for hours. It's like you get through the error and you're home free...until you reboot pro tools. This glitch isn't so bad, although i was recording an acoustic duo yesterday and during a great vocal take BAM 6101...kind of embarrassing.

Like Alan Z said, after the glitch happens, you don't need to make any changes to your session. It's definitely not really overloading.

I'm running an iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of memory. My software is up to date. I'm using a M-Audio Firewire 1814, plugging it in with a firewire 800 cable. I'm recording onto a WD My Book that's usb.

Hope you can help!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM

USB drives are not supported in any form.... FYI
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 AM

CPU overload continued.... I have the new macbook pro 13" and it only has 1 FW port and 2 USB all on same bus. I get the error all the time especially when running omnisphere rtas in PTs. I saw other threads that suggested getting a FW express card but i have no slot for it. I have my core sound library on my external drive thru USB and my I/O FW 410 thru my 1 FW800 port. I just added 4gig of ram and that didn't help to much. suggestions??
Old 08-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomike View Post
CPU overload continued.... I have the new macbook pro 13" and it only has 1 FW port and 2 USB all on same bus. I get the error all the time especially when running omnisphere rtas in PTs. I saw other threads that suggested getting a FW express card but i have no slot for it. I have my core sound library on my external drive thru USB and my I/O FW 410 thru my 1 FW800 port. I just added 4gig of ram and that didn't help to much. suggestions??
Are you recording to an external fw drive? USB drives are not supported for recording/playback.

J
Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM

no usb connections. just like other postings tried most solutions. i would try eric's solution with separating external drive and FW 410 but the new macbook pro 13" dont come with that express card slot. all i have to work with is 1 FW port and 2 usb on same bus. unless something else could be causing error?? but it sounds like all the postings on this subject that there has to a main cause for this, huh?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Exclamation Re: CPU Overload! Help!!!

After crashing pro tool, installing drivers and reinstalling those properly(updates),
it runs in 10.5.5 Leopard on a imac, the midi is finally recognized,that's ok.
However, many peeps know that a Imac core audio system can generate CPU
overload.
Don't worry, that's the same with Logic 8.
U can have a little sound card or a digi, the same f... window appears on the screen.
For Logic I entered a big code wich limits this CPU overload, or more, regulate the work of the processor.This is possible with the apple script editor, then save it as an app.
Maybe, instead of waiting for new updates, osx users would have to do the same script in order to make PT run a better way.
pro tools LE 8(and mpowered/mbox2 usb)before.
The best issue is anyway to install a DSP or adapted PCI card,but so so so expensive hardware solution.
PLEASE DIGITEAM, help us...