Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-29-2022, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Kudos to Avid for 2022.9

It's been a good year for Pro Tools and I'm particularly impressed given the upheaval in Ukraine.

Right now I'm reworking an oft-used template session to make use of Aux I/O rather than Source Nexus. So far so good! I'm starting to wish I hadn't paid to update that license last year but I'm glad that new users won't have to shell out ~$400USD like I did for such a rudimentary function. No shade on Source Elements—they definitely filled a technical niche and I believe that Nexus remains the only option for interfacing Core Audio devices with the classic HDX mixer engine.

The new bottom pane might take some getting used to. What I find unsettling is the way it sits below the horizontal scroll bar. Maybe not a huge deal but it upturns a long-established UI convention which makes it a bit distracting.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:46 AM

Yes it is nice to see Avid getting out releases with new features and significant bug fixes. More to be done but good stuff.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm typically early to the pitchforks when it comes time to dousing shame onto Avid for bugs and other things, but credit is due for today's release of 2022.9. Aux IOs are jaw-droppingly handy (negating the need for the ridiculously-priced Source-Nexus), Melodyne implementation is super slick, PT itself has been stable all day (knock on wood), and I'm able to get Logic to play well with my HDX hardware. Not to jinx anything, but everything seems to be working and there's not been a time before today -- ever -- when I could have said that. Even when PT was stable, something else would be awry, and of course we've never had access to coreaudio while using HDX hardware. What a refreshing feeling.

Bravo to the team!
Eric hey I have not downloaded it yet So when you say Aux I/O's negate the need for Source-Nexus. do you mean for example you can use Zoom meeting directly with Pro tools ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-29-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Eric hey I have not downloaded it yet So when you say Aux I/O's negate the need for Source-Nexus. do you mean for example you can use Zoom meeting directly with Pro tools ?
Yes, check the release notes.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:59 PM

Yes. I have been using it all day. Big props to the dev team.

The MIDI bug is gone. Melodyne seems like something I might actually use without grumbling too much. The new Quantize UI is very handy, and I am very much looking forward to a new/modern machine that can use Aux I/O, so I can get VideoSync's audio output into Pro Tools without needing to run a SPDIF cable from the computer out.

I still don't think Avid is doing a very good job at explaining SoundFlow. Looking at SoundFlow's website, it doesn't seem like they're doing a very good job either. Plus, if you can't use an iPad app or Streamdeck to trigger Macros on the Avid version, what is the point, really?

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro

Last edited by massivekerry; 09-29-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Plus, if you can't use an iPad app or Streamdeck to trigger Macros on the Avid version, what is the point, really?
Where did you read this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2022, 03:46 PM

SoundFlow's "compare versions" web page:

https://soundflow.org/pricing/personal

Under Hardware Integrations (Avid Editions)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-29-2022, 04:32 PM

Well that’s not great.

Have to use keyboard shortcuts or hook up a MIDI controller.

Think I’ll continue with my custom macros via KB Maestro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2022, 04:52 PM

To answer some observations about the windows side of the coin;
Sure there are some new features there and the system is mostly stable at its core, but you aren't getting the same level of service that the MacOS gets. The core audio extras are a bit of salt in the wounds, but its also window behaviours, the clumsy install and uninstall (why can't protools uninstall in add remove programs like every other windows app?), the import audio window ported from windows 95.
I'm getting frustrated with the lack of forward movement on bridging the gap between the two OS versions, and having to spend additional time on things that should have been addressed.
All said.... I will probably go back to a Mac once the dust settles on the new M1, M2 chip ecosystem.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:49 PM

Yes.. kudos.

It was a coincidence that today is one of the few days that I would have a few hours to install and play with the new pro tools.

I redid a couple of my templates to take advantage of the aux io and ditch source nexus. I will see if I can get it to work with all of my various routings. I have about 20 source nexus presets/ routes, so it's taking a bit of time figuring it all out with the bridge in/out and core audio.

Besides that... pro tools has been much more quick today. I was working faster than ever and clicking and dragging was at times too fast. I haven't been able to quickly drag audio files vertically, but now it's super fast. No lag. Very smooth.