Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-21-2022, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Paulstretch AAX plugin

>What order should the plugin be on a track if using a software instrument?

AFTER the software instrument. If before, it will capture no audio.

>Should the track be record enabled or is this from the capture button in Paulstrech?

BOTH the track must be enabled and capture button in Paulstretch to take record-enabled track audio or VI input and be captured by PaulStretch

>Or should it be on a different track with a send from the instrument track and the armed/not armed or capture button?

This simply comes down to your needs or other uses of the signal flow.

Simplest way I got it to work was having a 4 bar loop of a bassline. I played the loop in PT on an Audio Track. AAX Paulstretch was on that track as an insert. As the loop was playing and looping, I hit capture. Following the other setup described recently above that also took me about 6 minutes (time was longer, you could say stretched, after I started having fun!), it was working right away.

It did take me a bit of button mashing to get the audio and PaulStretch playing in PT and "capture" but basically if an audio signal is going "into" that plugin, and transport and Play when running are both running, then "Capture" takes the signal. You can load a file separately, otherwise the capture button doesn't "auto read the selection" or in other words it is a "live" capture.

I used the original back in 2011 or something, I think. It was fun as an Audiosuite. This version is neat too! Thanks for the prompt.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-22-2022, 10:43 AM

Paulstrech is awesome! Glad to see it back, I only messed with it on PC over a decade ago, but one great thing it does is stretch things out looooong without many artifacts. What I'll do is I'll take a section of chorus vocals (usually a single, held-out note) and stretch it out for the whole duration of the chorus and mix it in the background or put it in another part of the song like the bridge or something as a pad-like effect.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:51 PM

Well, now I have to try this thing.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Paulstrech is awesome! Glad to see it back, I only messed with it on PC over a decade ago, but one great thing it does is stretch things out looooong without many artifacts. What I'll do is I'll take a section of chorus vocals (usually a single, held-out note) and stretch it out for the whole duration of the chorus and mix it in the background or put it in another part of the song like the bridge or something as a pad-like effect.
Yes it is awesome at creating pads and ethereal noises that are complimentary to the source.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I'm in now for PaulStretch. The forum is AAX plugins, not AVID AAX plugins BTW. Not sure why people were getting bent out of shape for asking about an AAX plugin.
Almost every plugin
Old 08-23-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
Has everyone gone bananas? I'm with darkell.

Can't believe the "von oben-attitude" here. Especially from so called "experts" not even knowing of of Paulstrech in the first place.

Be humble and helpful.

(I would if I knew the answers to your questions, but I'm also struggling a bit with this excellent, but complicated plug-in)
THIS, yes. Be kind.
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
Be humble and helpful.
Thank you for giving the solution! ❤️ Without it everything dies.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 08-25-2022, 02:29 PM

thank you for the heads up about aax version of paulstretch. I was introduced by some trailer/sound designers years ago.

Forget about the elistists here. we have a responsibility to share. I dont know where i'd be if it werent for people like Rail or Tony S who guided me along the way. I've been here for over 20 years and am thankful for all of the help.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:37 AM

LDS, You are correct in stating that I should have tried everything you suggested before coming on to the forum. I had, and I had gone down the route that you and nednednerb have suggested. For me it did not work. I think what was upsetting was that you and Ben assumed that I hadn't tried. The standalone version works fine but the plugin I am still having problems with.

I have had a response from Sonosaurus and there is a bug but for me I don't think that is the problem, so I will keep playing with it.This might. help others.

From Sonosaurus

'There is a bug in the current version that sometimes prevents the
output from working until you toggle the stretch-enable button off
then on again (the "power" button looking thing next to the Stretch
amount slider). Just in case you have it all set up (with input
monitoring enabled on the track) correctly and it still doesn't work'

And thank you nednednerb for the best and most useful reply.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Never heard of the plugin but the tutorial should answer your questions. I doubt many here have experience with it. It's not a great sign that their tech support dept. hasn't responded.
It's been around for ages. As stand-alone. (and vst?). Only quite recently as an AAX plugin. It is as far as I know, a one-man-creation, by a guy named Paul I believe. And he give it away to us for free. Knowing those facts, we cannot expect a full-fledged support.

It is also as far as I know unique - not sure though. Worth checking.

Let's pay respect to Paul.