Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Dialogue Assembly / Conform

Hello fellow DUCers.

Here's a question that I know has been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer for this specifically.

I'm starting an Indi film, and am going through the AAF they provided. They edited off of some mix track that wasn't even the mix track off of the production sound mixer's files.

Editors exported an EDL and provided all of the production audio to me, but I’m not able to re-link the actual poly files to their edit either through EdiLoad or using the field recorder workflow in PT. Field recorder workflow looks like it's just matching it to many duplicates of the same track.

The poly files from production have lots of metadata and the splits sound so much better than the files they’re using in the AAF, but it’d take years to hand sync based on the naming discrepancies. Is there any way to create a pro tools session with every production audio file, spot to original timecode or something, and then conform those to the AAF? Any other option?

I can provide EDLs, screenshots, or whatever anybody might need to give me a helping hand. I'm not opposed to buying reasonably priced software if it'll for sure get the job done, too.

Thanks in advance!!

-Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system

Last edited by Ryan Young; 11-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Dialogue Assembly / Conform

Hey Ryan,
Surprised EdiLoad didn’t work, maybe try Kraken (disclaimer: written by a friend of mine but it is good!) http://krakensoftware.co.uk

Cheers,
Pete
Old 11-17-2019, 03:59 AM

If that mix track doesn't have the original metadata in it, it will never re-link to anything.

EDL is one way to go, with Kraken as Pete says.

Personally I'd get an edit assist to conform the sound rushes to the picture and re-deliver it to you.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:00 AM

you might want to give this a try.
https://www.synchroarts.com/products/titan/overview
Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 AM

It's hard to see from those low res screenshots but to me it looks like you were given a regular CMX EDL which truncates any source names to 8 or 10 characters and 999 events. This leads to wrong results as different material will look the same to the conforming software. Ask the cutting room for a file32 format EDL which won't truncate long names contained in it and try again.

file32 should be the default for any EDL exports nowadays because usually no one incl. cameras stick to 8-character naming anymore.

Unless I am on the wrong path here and those are in fact correct EDLs?

That being said, the field recorder workflow using the AAF should work regardless as the EDL isn't needed. Could be a million reasons. match criteria set wrong, AAF with stripped meta-data (use a non embedded AAF to check) or both. Very hard to diagnose. What are your match criteria settings and can you make more hi-res screenshots? If you get that to work you won't need to mess around with EDLs in the first place which saves a ton of time.

F.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 11-17-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Would it be possible to sync the audio using something waveform based? Like Resolve or PluralEyes?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Sounds In Sync

Ryan looking at your EDL screen shot (from what I can just make out) it looks like it contains the WAV Sound Roll name in the clip name column. You can use the EdiLoad column transfer window to transfer this info into the Roll Name column. You can also use the EDL cleaning function to reduce the track count before exporting the conform reference tracks. See the video in the following blog post for more info on how to manipulate an EDL in EdiLoad for conforms:

https://www.soundsinsync.com/blog/cu...-using-ediload

I’d also be happy to look at your files if you email them to me or you can send via the support page. Best to send all EDLs and send an XLS file by opening the WAV file list window, drop the parent folder containing all location WAVs onto it and export the XLS file. I’ll be able to use the XLS file to see what metadata is contained with your WAVs.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com