Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 PM

Default MBox 3 Mini - Static and Noise Issues

I just purchased a NOS MBox 3 Mini for use with a Windows Desktop.

Installed Pro Tools Express as well as current M Box driver.

Basically when trying to monitor sound through the MBox I get very loud shots of static and noise. When I create and or open a session I get the same static and noise issues anytime there is audio coming through. Whether I attempt to play a track with audio on it or engage the "Record" button and attempt to record to a track. Same issues.

Any help or troubleshoot would be appreciated.
Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1
Digi003R+
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 Mini - Static and Noise Issues

Same thing is happening to mine all of a sudden spikes of some sort static short bursts Unuseable like this

Ahh after digging i found some info..What a load brand new interface and it dosent support USB 3.0 which has been out for years.If i had of know that i wouldnt have bought the damn thing!

USB 3.0 ports on Windows 7 are not supported.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Thanks. I read that on the Avid support page as well.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...t-Track-family

Curious as to a work around if this is in fact my issue? Either a setting adjust in the BIOS for "legacy usb" or perhaps connecting through a USB 2.0 hub before going into the 3.0 on the computer. Essentially dumbing it down.

Hopefully here is a fix out there being this was all just recently purchased.

I a a Mac user for my studio setup. These issues aren't anything I normally experience. The windows machine is functioning as an alternate for client use. So far it's a bust.
Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1
Digi003R+
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM

Well after fiddling around its def the 3.0 port switched to 2.0 and not a scratch or noise BUT! I also disabled my onboard sound card and moved my mouse and mpc studio to the other side of my laptop and the mbox is on the other side alone.As soon as i plug my mouse up on that side with the mbox the noise comes right back.So maybe a powered hub is the way to go.As of now i have 3 usb ports that are unusable because of the mbox needs a whole side alone.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:56 AM

I experienced the same problem with an Mbox Mini: lots of static on the output (it was plugged into a USB 3 hub). After doing a search and seeing this page, I tried plugging the Mini into a USB 2 hub that was plugged into a USB 3 port, and found that it worked fine that way.