Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2003, 03:45 AM

Default 2 screens on G4 400 agp...

recomendations, please, easiest hassle free way to go 2 screens on my g4 400.
thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: 2 screens on G4 400 agp...

mike,

Radeon 8500 agp card.

I have it in a G4 400 and it works PERFECT.

DO NOT GET THE RADEON 9000 or higher

unless your machine comes with an ADC connector (gigabit models only.

THe majority of G4 400 came with ati rage 128 card.

These will not power the radeon 9000, it is designed to replace or be installed in newer G 4 which have special power requirements on AGP bus for ADC (apple display connector) it powers and sends output to monitor.

If you did radeon 9000 you couldn't use it's ADC port.
8500 has vga, DVI (plus DVI to VGA adapter) and can even do S video !!!!

Keeps second monitor card off of the pci bus....

Also saw your post about the upgrade cards.

I have the Sonnet 1 ghz card, i beta tested it with ptle 5.x and os 9

works good, however they want the card back, so I am considering going dual.

I would check into the powerlogix dual 800 or 867 or 933 or 1 ghz upgrade, should keep you going for another year or two (being conservative, probably longer)

where a single processor upgrade is only if you plan on getting a G5 in the next year or two....
Old 03-26-2003, 03:24 PM

IInteresting post Kris,
This is what I'm always afraid of...compatibility when I replace - change things.
My plan is to replace my 64 MB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphic card from my Dual 1Ghz QS with the Radeon 9000 pro AGP, to be able to run 2 monitors digitally.
I guess it should work. But, who knows? By the way who knows? Please tell me.
....but then I have this friend of mine who would like to buy my NVIDIA GeForce4 MX for his g4/450. So now, I am not so sure about this compatibility. Nobody tell anything about this. Are you 100% sure about this ADC thing?

Thanks/ P.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:38 PM

Why don't you just get an ADC to VGA adaptor for your Nvidia GeForce MX card? It has two ports. Actually, you can go duel digital out anyway with that card... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

dk
Old 03-26-2003, 08:33 PM

petter,

I am a lazy stoner, who types on a mini mac keyboard with 2 fingers not to mention I have a problem with speaking efficiently so to spare you and me a great deal of cross talk, check this link. http://www.barefeats.com/sawgraf.html

Read the article, it will explain ALL

I have the 8500, and I figure that with a dual processor upgrade (sonnet wants the single 1 ghz back !!!, and if it aint free i'm buying a dual upgrade) i should be good for OSX/6.x

and your card you have supports dual displays. Ex girlfriend has a dual gig QS.

you need an ADC to dvi adapter.

it has ADC/dvi on it.

I say keep your card tell your friend to get the 8500

and an upgrade card (dual 1 ghz)

and then you geezers dave c them head to head with os9/5.x and osx/6.x

post results on this board so I can decide what I want to do about my situation. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Isn't all this upgrade/will it work ? B.S. for the windows crowd , kinda like "for the birds" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 03:17 AM

Thank-you guys for answering!

However, I don't understand why everybody's keep telling me that I can use my GeForce4MX with 2 monitors digitally...???
My card has only one digital connection = ADC. The other one is analog VGA.
Right now I use an Apple 17'' via ADC and another 19'' TFT - Siemens plugged to VGA. My 19'' has also DVI, so I could use both monitors digitally with the Radeon900 ... But then is this "Pro Tools thing". You never know when something affects -it...
I guess I have to find out by myself. I hope I'll find a deal so I can do a few days tests....
Thanks!/ P.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:39 AM

If as you state, that your Mac is a (2002) Duel 1ghz Quick Silver. Then your Nvidia card is a GeForce 4 MX (..my MDD duel 1.25 has the same card). This card has two ports. One is an ADC port, one is a DVI port. (Duel digital out -with proper adaptors- already supported)

If your monitor is now connected via VGA connector, then it MUST be connect to the DVI to VGA adaptor which was supplied with your computer. It can't work any other way... (did you look behind there?)

If you have a (2001) Duel Quick Silver, then it can ONLY be a Duel 800Mhz which offered a choice of either, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX or a GeForce 3.
These cards are the only ones that have, one ADC connector and one VGA connector.

So, just to recap., if your Mac is a (2002) Duel 1Ghz Quick Silver, you can go duel digital out provided that you purchase one more adaptor; ADC to VGA.

If your Mac is a (2001) Duel 800Mhz Quick Silver, then you can go 1 digital out and 1 analog out.

(I just looked this stuff up on Apples site out of curiosity)...

dk
Old 03-27-2003, 03:36 PM

This is the strangest thing! It must be different types of this card. In the Apple system info I can read very clearly: NVDA,GeForce4MX VRAM 64Mb, etc....
Now I even removed the card, an there is an ADC and an VGA contact. No adapter, nothing....
I bought my computer on second hand from a studio. Only a few month old. The machine was in did "special" configured: CDRW in stead of Superdrive, an extra 80Gb drive... I even got an ADC to VGA adapter (!). I used 2 VGA monitors before I bought my Apple 17''.
Well, OK...Thanks a lot everybody for answering.
I saw a used GeForce4MX 32Mb. From a dual 867 MDD. In did with ADC and DVI!!! Only 32Mb...? It may be OK. Cheaper than Radeon 9000 Pro, of course.
I'm still confused, but I don't think I can do something about -it....Hmmm
//P.