Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Can we buy a reinstatement without activating it? (at today's price for later?)
Yes, you can (buy a code at a reseller, not directly with Avid).

I've also decided to go this route. My reasoning is that at the current pace of development and bug fixing, you can EASILY wait a few years (maybe 3, 4, ...) before jumping on the train again (if ever). Some of the (serious) bugs I have reported to Avid date from 5 years back or more, so go figure. Renewing a subscription for *no* support doesn't make sense at all.

In the end, decide what's best for you. But this is a valid option.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
The defensiveness of Avid loyalists here does not help anyone. I see mods justifying all kinds of bugs with spurious and pathetic reasons. Apologising for Avid's pricing really just takes the cake though
The notion of attempting to label people here who do not agree with your Totally Subjective opinion and perspective as "loyalists" (or "fanboys" being the other popular derogatory term), as if your derision, some how magically "invalidates" their perspective, is straight out of "The Bigots Handbook of Ad Hominem Catch Phrases"

The reality is many or most here, are fully aware of both the plus and minus aspects to Avid policies .
But simply choose not to crap our pants in this forum over what we see as being in the minus column. Which is in reality is much more "helpful" when they do express concerns, than simply just whining and pissing about Avid

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-09-2020, 10:41 AM

The term supposedly being derogatory or whatever isn't hugely relevant. But I'm sorry if I offended you lol. It's more that when people are happy to be apologists for Avid's policies it doesn't help anyone in the long term, because new users are simply not going to be attracted to the platform. Everyone loses including Avid. Again it's my opinion but I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The term supposedly being derogatory or whatever isn't hugely relevant. But I'm sorry if I offended you lol. It's more that when people are happy to be apologists for Avid's policies it doesn't help anyone in the long term, because new users are simply not going to be attracted to the platform. Everyone loses including Avid. Again it's my opinion but I'm sticking to it.
Of course its relevant, and derogatory. Relevant because it shows the fallacy of the logic behind it , Ad Hominem argument is a logical fallacy and using it throw's into question the "objective" reasoning the rest of the argument. That's just critical thinking 101 (which I know is not popular right now but is reality).

Don't worry you did not "offend me" I would have to give some kind of credence your opinion to take offense (as if to pretend that being "offended" also somehow might invalidate my point ),, I'm not offended ,, but it wouldn't invalidate my point even if I were .
Agin people being " happy to be apologists for Avid's policies" (because they don't agree with on your skewed notions ) , is a figment of your imagination not reality.
Of course time will tell if your business prognostication , "because new users are simply not going to be attracted to the platform" is more perceptive than Avid's .

Now let me say it's not so much what you are saying, as how you are saying it. Or more about the specific labels you use for those who do not see it your way.

It may be your opinion but it's mistaken, the "apologists" as you label them simple do not have enough influence on Avid to sway them one way or the other. Any more than those incessantly and tediously deriding Avid's Corporate character as if it were some Demonic entity crushing the life force out of them......

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-09-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The defensiveness of Avid loyalists here does not help anyone. I see mods justifying all kinds of bugs with spurious and pathetic reasons. Apologising for Avid's pricing really just takes the cake though

With Avid's policies which somehow get more and more appalling over time, new users are not going to be attracted to this platform. The app will eventually be seen as some kind of SAW Studio for weird old men and it will die.

My plan of action - my support period expires in a few days. I'm going to buy a reinstatement and hold it in reserve. I'll trigger it if Avid ever fixes some of the serious bugs, assuming they don't drop support for my OS (10.13) in the meantime. I don't really expect the former to happen, and fully expect the latter to happen probably in the next version. So at that point I'll just sell the reinstatement code to someone who still cares.
Exactly.
As of current standing and experience with Avid, I would recommend AGAINST PT for any DAW shopper. And as far as I understand, I'm not alone drumming that beat. This is because of Avid, not PT.

My son (Ableton) tells me:

"Avid is simply a misspelling of Avoid"

So, in the longer run PT users are "old farts" among the younger and upcoming.

Again:
I like PT
I don't like Avid

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
Exactly.
As of current standing and experience with Avid, I would recommend AGAINST PT for any DAW shopper. And as far as I understand, I'm not alone drumming that beat. This is because of Avid, not PT.

Absolutely! Everyone i know who's using ProTools has a complain about it, be it a bug...that never seem to get fixed, the stupid 32 I/O limitation (and others too), lack of development and OS support (took them a whole year to support Catalina!) etc.....or......the business model Avid chose to follow.

That's why this thread exists, users are tired of paying for so little in return and voice their sentiments about it. Of course there are some that feel Avid is doing fine and willing to pay them whatever they deliver.....hope they don't act accordingly in other aspects of their life. I wonder if their local groceries store, deliver them rotten meat, fruits or vegetables, do they feed their family with it and wait for the next delivery in hope to be better?? I don't think so.....

Cheers!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Absolutely! Everyone i know who's using ProTools has a complain about it, be it a bug...that never seem to get fixed, the stupid 32 I/O limitation (and others too), lack of development and OS support (took them a whole year to support Catalina!) etc.....or......the business model Avid chose to follow.

That's why this thread exists, users are tired of paying for so little in return and voice their sentiments about it. Of course there are some that feel Avid is doing fine and willing to pay them whatever they deliver.....hope they don't act accordingly in other aspects of their life. I wonder if their local groceries store, deliver them rotten meat, fruits or vegetables, do they feed their family with it and wait for the next delivery in hope to be better?? I don't think so.....

Cheers!
Again.
I like PT
Dislike Avid

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post

Cheers!
Your analogy is specious, And you are missing the point.

Yes this thread got started because someone did not like the significantly increased renewal price and stated it was a deal breaker for them , a perfectly valid complaint, and valid perspective BTW.

But the OP did not attempt to label those who did renew and do not see it as a deal breaker,, as "loyalists" (as if they had no other valid reasons to continue with PT other than merely blind loyalty).

And let me correct the start of your second paragraph to be more accurate :

"Some" users are tired of paying for "what they perceive" as "so little in return"

Not all "users" feel there is "so little return" for the investment... or they would not renew. You may feel that way but seems obviously they do not, and that does not make them "loyalists" or "apologists" . It just means they have a different perspective and or sense of value of return.

Your analogy is specious because, it falsely assumes that those that will pay the renewal price and stay with PT feel that what Avid provides is the equivalent of "rotten meat" but they will do it anyway. But the reality is they don't feel that way , so the analogy is based on a false equivalency.

Obviously most people would not tolerate being delivered rotten meat. To suggest that renewing a support plan and not pissing and moaning about in this thread, is the same as being delivered rotten meat and just hoping it won't happen again,, is condescending at best.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-09-2020, 02:48 PM

AFAIK, owning a PT license is not constitutional right in any country. If you need it you buy it, simple as that.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:28 PM

"Some" users are tired of paying for "what they perceive" as "so little in return"

I'm thinking it's most users here.
My DAW back then was Studio Vision until its demise when Gibson bought Opcode.
I started using Digidesign Pro Tools with Sound Tools ll in the early 90s along with Digital Performer for midi programming.
Digidesign's business model was competitive and sound.
But now, with Avid's greedy subscription model, it's financially difficult to justify paying for their inflated,
mandatory annual fee, never mind the reinstatement price tag!

I, too, love Pro Tools.
I do not like Avid's price gouging.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!