Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-06-2020, 05:52 AM

Default So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

I arrive at the day of renewal. Until last year I was able to renew my perpetual license (vanilla) for $ 130 CAD. Even if Avid pushed all of its information to customers to add a completely unnecessary support plan (in my case), or turn perpetual license into annual subscription (promotional hypocrisy), I managed to figure out how to simply renew my license, which is just normal. I am paying for the upgrade or renewal from version 8, even though I bought a perpetual license.

But this year, it's impossible. Avid doubled its price by forcing the acquisition of the plan, with no way out: CAD $ 260. 2019 saw the arrival of a beautiful thing for me, track records, but overall Pro Tools is definitely not worth that annual cost. I just renewed Cubase (version 10.5 to 11) for $ 150 CAD. It's a bit expensive but we are in a reasonable area. In addition, the novelties are important and diverse, within the framework of a software which is generally much richer and broader in functionality.

I was planning on renewing Pro Tools for some great and unique features, in addition to an interface that I love. But obstacles are there. One, Avid's customer philosophy, which is too heavily mercantile and not very honest in its expression and logic. Two, the well-known slowness of its development (just think of ARA for Melodyne, then of the integration of Console 1 from Softube). Three, the new madness to massacre one of the strong elements of its commercial offer, its interface. The failed switch to dark mode, moreover with a completely ugly new promotional look (which is less important, we agree), gives worrying clues for the future. Instead of attacking to join its competitors on crucial elements, Avid imposes on its software superficial transformations which, moreover, are badly screwed up and worthy of the nights of interior voyage of a lonely graphic designer on the barbiturates.

For these reasons, despite a strong relationship with Pro Tools (but sometimes tumultuous, it is true, over the years), Avid has managed to discourage me from continuing with its flagship. When you consider that a large part of the composers also move from Sibelius to Dorico, which is my case, the picture does not improve. Yet I would have liked Avid to follow the train ...

So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.11.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-06-2020, 06:06 AM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

If you need your car occasionally, you have no problem paying 1k yearly for car insurance. But you have a problem paying 260 for PT renewal, so it just means you don't need PT
Old 12-06-2020, 06:17 AM

The update plan with the threatening that you can no longer update if you let it lapse does only harm.

If I have financial problems and can’t pay for the plan one year, I would have to purchase a whole new pro tools license of I want to update. It’s just nuts.

The logic, my logic would be is to happily pay 200$ for an year of updates. So simple and effective.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you need your car occasionally, you have no problem paying 1k yearly for car insurance. But you have a problem paying 260 for PT renewal, so it just means you don't need PT
This would be a good analogy to subscription but not with perpetual.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:20 AM

The only problem here is Avid stopped selling Reinstatements and nobody knows how long they are available from resellers. Obviously continuous renewal is cheaper than renewing lapsed plan, no problem with that, but the problem is no more Reinstatements from Avid. AFAIK, that is the only unfair action here.

On the other hand, most professional studios do not update every week so those that have so called set-it-and-forget-it systems an safely not rrenew their plan and simply buy new license after 3-5 years of using the system as is.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The only problem here is Avid stopped selling Reinstatements and nobody knows how long they are available from resellers. Obviously continuous renewal is cheaper than renewing lapsed plan, no problem with that, but the problem is no more Reinstatements from Avid. AFAIK, that is the only unfair action here.

On the other hand, most professional studios do not update every week so those that have so called set-it-and-forget-it systems an safely not rrenew their plan and simply buy new license after 3-5 years of using the system as is.
I agree
Old 12-06-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You can't take price out of the equation. If it was $ 500 per year, what would you say: "But you have a problem paying 500 for PT renewal, so it just means you don't need PT"? At that point, you would be talking about cost, because my example is high. But between this example and the real demand, there are steps in the exaggeration. I am saying that the price to pay is too high, that it is not the right price. You have to go down to a lower rung. and I say that the "Plan" (which goes from single to double) is an artificial inflation of the basic product.

But I don't want to get into a long controversy. I just wanted to testify to my position. It meets, I think, that of a certain number of users.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 12-06-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's very unlikely that any Pro Tools accident could result in major property damage, grievous bodily harm, or death. So that's not a super apt analogy.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclash View Post
It's very unlikely that any Pro Tools accident could result in major property damage, grievous bodily harm, or death. So that's not a super apt analogy.

No, but problem with PT may cost you allnof tour business so therefore analogy holds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 01:56 PM

I have never despised a companies business practices and customer philosophy more than Avids.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek