Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 AM
audioluche audioluche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, Canada
Posts: 764
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The card I linked to - the Aqua Computer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x 4 has cooling/heatsinks built in and also comes with stick on thermal pads, not paste that are removable/reversible. It’s very solidly built. Unlike most other cards there are heat sinks on both sides of the NVMe drive.

I use it with a Samsung Evo which runs at the same temperature as the Samsungs on my Sonnet 4x4. Whenever I look, it’s the exact same temperature in iStat menus.

Ideally you do need cooling of some sort otherwise you risk the drive thermal throttling at best and at worst it failing.
Thanks for all the info Marsdy!
All really handy stuff that i did not know.
I'm a newbie with NMVe drives
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2021, 08:08 AM
audioluche audioluche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, Canada
Posts: 764
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The card I linked to - the Aqua Computer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x 4 has cooling/heatsinks built in and also comes with stick on thermal pads, not paste that are removable/reversible. It’s very solidly built. Unlike most other cards there are heat sinks on both sides of the NVMe drive.

I use it with a Samsung Evo which runs at the same temperature as the Samsungs on my Sonnet 4x4. Whenever I look, it’s the exact same temperature in iStat menus.

Ideally you do need cooling of some sort otherwise you risk the drive thermal throttling at best and at worst it failing.

One last thing...
Did you remove the sticker on your Samsung Evo or it's safe to leave the sticker and it wont interfere with cooling?

I've found contradicting info on the net about this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-21-2021, 09:53 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,988
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
One last thing...
Did you remove the sticker on your Samsung Evo or it's safe to leave the sticker and it wont interfere with cooling?

I've found contradicting info on the net about this.

Thanks!
It never even occurred to me to remove the stickers. I’m sure Samsung wouldn’t put stickers on them if they were going to cause a problem.
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 389
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

I've got the OWC Accelsior 4M2 plus a pair of OWC single drive cards (that I bought earlier), one has a Samsung M.2 and the other has a 2TB SSD.

No issues with cooling even with a HDX card in as well, and a Rednet card.

The 4M2 is perfectly reliable but I still back up incrementally to a NAS.
Eventually something will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-25-2021, 12:14 PM
audioluche audioluche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, Canada
Posts: 764
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It never even occurred to me to remove the stickers. I’m sure Samsung wouldn’t put stickers on them if they were going to cause a problem.
Yes, that's what i taught.
But i've read some info on the net where they were saying to remove it.
But like you, i've assumed Samsung know what they are doing.
So i let them there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 PM
audioluche audioluche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, Canada
Posts: 764
Default Re: PCI adaptor for 2019 Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I've got the OWC Accelsior 4M2 plus a pair of OWC single drive cards (that I bought earlier), one has a Samsung M.2 and the other has a 2TB SSD.

No issues with cooling even with a HDX card in as well, and a Rednet card.

The 4M2 is perfectly reliable but I still back up incrementally to a NAS.
Eventually something will fail.
Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDX Ultimate - 2019.10 7 2019.12 - video export issues anguswoodhead Post - Surround - Video 2 03-09-2020 02:33 AM
Pro Tools 2019.12 Ultimate Crashes 2019 Mac Pro rmccam Pro Tools 2019 11 02-28-2020 03:59 AM
Workspace Borked 2019.10 and 2019.12 KMcK Pro Tools 2019 0 01-17-2020 02:09 PM
Install pro tools 2019.10 over 2019.6? Clarkston Guy Pro Tools 2019 6 11-01-2019 08:12 AM
VST to RTAS Adaptor vs. ReWire to RTAS Adaptor TriAxis 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 01-22-2004 10:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com