Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Re: How hard is it to build a computer?

As long as you are careful and read the instruction you should have not trouble upgrading your motherboard and CPU. It will give you a nice jump in performance too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 12:06 AM

Default How hard is it to build a computer?

With the Release of the new Anthalon xp 2600+ I'm starting to get anxious for a new computer. Well I guess all that I really want is a new mobo and the new processor because I like everything else I have. Is there anything more that I would have to do other than just unpluggin everything, taking out the old mobo with old processor, putting in the new one and plugging everything else back in? I was thinking about getting rid of my a7v266-e and moving up to the A7v333 or maybe up to the new A7v8x. Right now I have the 1600+ AMD and I want to move up to the 2600+. I don't know What do you guys think? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 01:01 AM

No big deal.

I built my system after seeing a friend (a PC tech) doing it a couple of times; it's no rocket science, just follow the instructions and with a little care and patience you'll make it (if you're a little handy with tools).

L.G.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:34 AM

As all have said above, the hardware/mechanical part is pretty easy.
The education comes in configuring the software.
You'll find lots of knowledgeable help here.
Good luck-
Old 09-08-2002, 05:14 AM

I think you will want to change your ram and move to 133 hard drives with your new gear.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:47 AM

calvin,

it's much easier than you think. I built my first one about a year ago and was amazed at how easy it was. There will be some steps in the process where you will scratch your head but by carefully following the instructions, you should be able to do it. As an added bonus, you'll learn a lot more conceptually about the computer. A great site is www.pcsforeveryone.com

I live in boston and bought all my stuff from them. the site also has links to great sites that give you detailed step by step instructions form A-Z for building your computer. I custom built my PC for Pro Tools LE and after some tweaking, it's worked great. It was so easy that when my wife wanted to upgrade her PC, I built her's too. Once you have all the parts it take one or two evenings to put it together. Most of the settings on the motherboard these days are done automatically by the software so it's not all that hard. And it's fun if you like to put stuff together.
Mark
Old 09-08-2002, 03:20 PM

You will have to re-install everything.

Back-up any valuable data and then install.

Check to see that your current power supply will be enought for your new cpu and motherboard.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 09-08-2002, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I won't have any problem with reinstalling the software and everything and I think it would be kind of fun to build one on my own. Thanks for the link. As of now I could only find places with reviews but no place I could just buy direct from. I am still going to have to wait a few more weeks till I can get the money from my next paycheck or two but I can't wait. Oh yah and my drives are already ATA 133, My computer is still the best computer I have ever worked on but what can I say, I am just excited about how much I could get pro-tools to do more than I already have. Thanks a bunch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2002, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
Thanks for the advice guys. I know I won't have any problem with reinstalling the software and everything and I think it would be kind of fun to build one on my own. Thanks for the link. As of now I could only find places with reviews but no place I could just buy direct from. I am still going to have to wait a few more weeks till I can get the money from my next paycheck or two but I can't wait. Oh yah and my drives are already ATA 133, My computer is still the best computer I have ever worked on but what can I say, I am just excited about how much I could get pro-tools to do more than I already have. Thanks a bunch. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Calvin,
Check out the "Best System for Digi001 for under 800.00" thread here on the DUC. I'll bump it for you to the top. The new A7V333 motherboard has been a great performer for PTLE and is XP ready. It is also supported by Digi. I get most of my parts from www.newegg.com , but you can find the best prices by searching www.pricewatch.com
Good luck,
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]