Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-20-2021, 06:39 PM

Default Got one! Couple major issues so for - need suggestions, please

So, about every other time I reboot of the Mac Carbon defaults back to 44.1 instead of 48. This also crashes Pro Tools when trying to open it, which is when I realize the issue occurred. Last open session was 48. However, I switch sample rates quite a bit between 44 and 48 for projects I work with, so this is difficult.

Bigger issue, though, is ADAT sync stops sporadically and I get an error about clock. Clocking from Apogee Symphony I/O.

If I go to the Audio MIDI app and toggle it from ADAT to ADAT it works again. This is obviously an issue.

Quality ADAT cables are used. I get no issues showing on the Apogee and signal still seems to work as normal, but recording stops due to no clock.

Ideas?

I also get an error during session that there's too little DSP to do routing. Simple session with 25 tracks and 12 auxes. Most have HP1-4 until I get the error that some are disabled from too little DSP. About half the DSP is plugins. The other 4 are Mixer.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Got one! Couple major issues so for - need suggestions, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
Bigger issue, though, is ADAT sync stops sporadically and I get an error about clock. Clocking from Apogee Symphony I/O.
Not dismissing the original issue but, have you tried clocking the Carbon from the Symphony using word clock instead of ADAT?
Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Not dismissing the original issue but, have you tried clocking the Carbon from the Symphony using word clock instead of ADAT?
That's my plan B. Plan C is clocking it all from Carbon :-(

Setting clocking from the Audio MIDI app feels really wonky. And seems to work that way too.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
That's my plan B. Plan C is clocking it all from Carbon :-(

Setting clocking from the Audio MIDI app feels really wonky. And seems to work that way too.
Carbon still needs to know what the clock source is and, as it's just an AVB device (with some magic extras that Pro Tools knows about), that's probably why it is configured through AMS.

Plan B might be better anyway as, less jitter in WC vs ADAT.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:31 PM

Support emailed me and had suggestions. I ended up using a different mac and didn't have issues with adat clocking from that point on. Used on sessions for a few days without any issues.