Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Default CPU Upgrades

Anybody ever have luck with putting an aftermarket CPU into a G4 QS?

I'm PT Mix Plus on a G4 QS, 800MHz, 1.5GHz RAM, OS 10.3.9, PT 6.4.1. Only other application used with PT is Reason 3 (native virtual instruments via rewire).

The only reason that I'm looking at a faster CPU is due to the Native instruments. PT alone is totally happy with the 800 MHz G4

I tried a PowerLogix 7447 2MHz CPU in my system (supposedly seamless with a 2002 Quicksilver 800MHz) which according to OWC would work well with PT and my G4. A week of hell later I pulled the 7447, reinstalled the factory CPU and had to rebuild the entire system from the OS on up.

My local PT sales office says stay away from anything other than stock Mac computers.

Should I look at a dual MDD G4, say 1.2GHz, rather than mess with aftermarket CPU's?

Thanks All,

Felix
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: CPU Upgrades

I've tried both Sonnet and Powerlogix processors and have found Powerlogix to be very unstable. Sonnet is not bad though. However, for what it is worth it is best to go with the Apple stock processors.

Warren
www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
he only reason that I'm looking at a faster CPU is due to the Native instruments.
If that's the reason you're doing it, you would be SO much better off getting a second computer (Mac or PC) and running all your NI stuff (and other AU/VST plugins) over there in a shell like Kore, etc. PT on the Mac is not the greatest for running these CPU hungry third party plug-ins. Everything is more stable with one or more dedicated softsynth/sampler machines.

Personally, I would stay far away from accelerators for PT use.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 AM

Hi there,
just reading these posts and wonder if anyone can help me.
I've got an imac G5 and running PT 7.0 with an MBox2.
Even if I only use one RTAS instruments plug in and am recording audio on jus one other track, pro tools tells me that there is CPU usage overload.
It seems unlikely that that should really be the case.
Could it be because I'm recording on my internal HD?
Also, how on earth can I increase the CPU usage. It won;t go higher than 85%
Thanks.
Jamie
Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Hi there,
just reading these posts and wonder if anyone can help me.
I've got an imac G5 and running PT 7.0 with an MBox2.
Even if I only use one RTAS instruments plug in and am recording audio on jus one other track, pro tools tells me that there is CPU usage overload.
It seems unlikely that that should really be the case.
Could it be because I'm recording on my internal HD?
Also, how on earth can I increase the CPU usage. It won;t go higher than 85%
Thanks.
Jamie
Welcome to the DUC, Jamie.

This is the PT TDM forum. Please note that there is a forum dedicated to ProTools LE and its various hardware options, such as the Mbox, as in your case. Scroll down from from the DUC’s main page and you’ll see it.

While most of the PT software is the same for both platforms, each has its own set of exclusive compatibility requirements, features, issues and problems. Therefore, most answers to such will vary also—highlighting the wisdom of posting on the appropriate forum.

Having said that (and just so you don’t go away empty-handed)…

You should never use your system drive for your sessions and related media files. Get an external FireWire drive. Better yet, get two — so you can backup your sessions.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 AM

Am using Gigadesign dual 1.8 upgrade in my Quicksilver, been very stable with PT 7.2.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I tried a PowerLogix 7447 2MHz CPU in my system ....
They make a 2Mhz Processor Upgrade?
That's Awesome

Actually, I have succesfully used a Powerlogix 7447 1.6Ghz in my G4 for the past 6 months. It has been very stable.

Q1. Did you install it as directed? You have to boot from the CD, and install the 7447 patch before putting the CPU in.
Q2. Are you sure you got the right CPU upgrade? There are two different versions with different bus speeds (100, 133) Quicksilver needs 133.

I had NO luck with the Sonnet CPU a couple years ago. It reguires that you use the fan from your Apple CPU, which doesn't fit exactly on the Sonnet processor, so it would always crash after about 5 min (due to overheating, I assumed) The Powerlogix comes with its own Fan...and OWC offers Excellent Tech support.

good luck,
Steve
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I tried a PowerLogix 7447 2MHz CPU in my system ....
They make a 2Mhz Processor Upgrade?
That's Awesome

Actually, I have succesfully used a Powerlogix 7447 1.6Ghz in my G4 for the past 6 months. It has been very stable.

Q1. Did you install it as directed? You have to boot from the CD, and install the 7447 patch before putting the CPU in.
Q2. Are you sure you got the right CPU upgrade? There are two different versions with different bus speeds (100, 133) Quicksilver needs 133.

I had NO luck with the Sonnet CPU a couple years ago. It reguires that you use the fan from your Apple CPU, which doesn't fit exactly on the Sonnet processor, so it would always crash after about 5 min (due to overheating, I assumed) The Powerlogix comes with its own Fan...and OWC offers Excellent Tech support.

good luck,
Steve
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM

i'm running dual 1.8 sonnet with my quicksilver

it has somw crashing and some kernals but fairly stable

i tried the giga brand but bad memory i purchased made me switch brands and i'm fairly happy

it is gonna get me thru the next year or 2 for sure