Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Buffer Size settings problem in Pro Tools First

Hello,

I’m trying to solve a problem I had in Pro Tools First v12.8.2 and now in 2018.1.0.

My system:

HP Pavilion 17-ab001nq
Windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 6700HQ 2.60GHz/2.60GHz
8GB RAM

Focusrite 2i2 (2nd Gen) as default playback and recording audio interface
Pro Tools First v2018.1.0 (planning to upgrade to Pro) as recording and mixing software

Audio settings:
- integrated Realtek audio disabled
- Windows Sounds disabled
- audio default format on Focusrite (both playback and recording): 2channel 24bit 48000Hz

Drivers: Focusrite dedicated ASIO Control Panel 4.36.5-612

All the laptop drivers are up to date.

The problem:

I open ASIO Control Panel (Run as Administrator) from Windows and I set the Sample Rate at 48kHz and the Buffer Size at 256. It seems that lower than 256 I get audio distortions or the sound freezes. So these settings (48kHZ and 256) are always saved in ASIO Control Panel and each time I reboot the laptop these settings are saved at these values.

But when I open Pro Tools First and go to Setup - Hardware, the ASIO Control Panel ALWAYS opens with these settings: 48kHz and 64 Buffer Size (which is not usable on my system). Further more, in order to set the Buffer Size at 256, which I guess is optimal for my system (?), I need to set it at 512, and NOT at 256! And that is because everytime I set a value in the Buffer Size list, Pro Tools saves it as the next lower value! I mean, if I set it to 512 and close ASIO Control Panel and reopen it imediately from the Setup - Hardware menu, it will show 256. If I set it to 256, it will reopen as 128. If I set it to 128 it will reopen as 64… This never happens if I set it from Windows! From Windows it will always save the exact value I choose, no matter how many times I reopen ASIO Control Panel.

And that is the problem I don’t understand and try to solve. Another thing: because Pro Tools always “remembers” the next lower value in ASIO Control Panel, once I close the program, this value will also be saved in ASIO Control Panel in Windows. Meaning that Pro Tools controls the Buffer Size and saves it as default in Windows (if I open Pro Tools, it will change the Buffer Size to 64; if I close the software without changing anything in Setup - Hardware, I will have the Buffer Size at 64 in Windows and it will cause audio problems in all the other audio applications; so, in order to correct that, I need to reopen ASIO Control Panel from Windows and change back the Buffer Size to 256 in order to have good audio).

This is not a big problem, now that I know about it, I can use Pro Tools and work with it fine, but I don't understand what's going on and there is this strange step I have to remember each and every time I open the software: I have to change the Buffer Size to 256 (by setting it to 512!).

This is kind of hard to explain and I’m sorry, English is not my native language. Please let me know if I need to provide any other informations.

Thank you in advance for any kind of help or explanation on this problem!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Buffer Size settings problem in Pro Tools First

ok first you have your Sound settings are backwards. In windows realtek needs to be selected as the default output and recording device and the focusrite needs to be enabled but NOT selected as default. if it is selected as default in sound control panel Pro Tools will NOT be able to access it. Once you have changed that start PT with N key held and you should be able to access the 2I2. I have a 2I2 that works great with 12.8 and 2018. The only thing to watch for is the sound control panel will occasionally arbitrarily re select it as the default device. For this reason I created a sound control panel short cut on my desktop.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 PM

Thank you for your answer and your time! I tried the settings you recommended (Realtek as default audio driver in Windows and Focusrite enabled and selected from the menu inside Pro Tools) but it doesn’t make any difference. Everything works just fine in all cases (Realtek as default / or Focusrite as default / or Realtek disabled etc.), Focusrite DOES work and it is recognized without any problems, but I have to take the time and remember to correct the Buffer Size from 64 (where it defaults to) to 256 (by selecting 512...) when I fire up the software. There is this conflict or a miss-communication between drivers/software (?) which makes Pro Tools Buffer Size settings go nuts, as explained before. So this doesn’t happen in Amplitube 4 (Audio MIDI Setup - Panel - ASIO Control Panel) or in the ASIO Control Panel (Focusrite) under Windows. Only in Pro Tools…
Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 PM

(I gave my reply 2 days ago, my post never made it to the forum for some reason. It said that it needed a moderator approval - seems like the guy doesn’t work on weekends… It may appear twice at some point, sorry for that… So here I go again)

Thank you for your answer and your time! I tried the settings you recommended (Realtek as default audio driver in Windows and Focusrite selected from the menu inside Pro Tools) but it doesn’t make any difference. Everything works just fine in all cases (Realtek as default / Focusrite as default / Realtek disabled etc.), Focusrite DOES work and it is recognized without any problems in the software, but I have to take the time and remember to correct the Buffer Size from 64 (where it defaults to) to 256 (by selecting 512…) when I fire up the software. There is this conflict or a miss-communication between drivers/software (?) which makes Pro Tools Buffer Size settings go nuts, as explained before. So this doesn’t happen in Amplitube or in the ASIO Control Panel (Focusrite) under Windows, only in Pro Tools…
Old 09-07-2021, 09:55 AM

You Have to disable the Dynamic Plug-In Processing,
Ignore Errors During Playback/Record
and Minimize additional I/O Latency on Playback Engine