Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Odd Midi/Virtual Instrument Problems with PT7+

I sorted thru prior posts and have not seen an issue exactly like the one I am having. I have disabled the multi-processor function for RTAS plugs. When using an instrument track with midi and any virtual instrument, then overdubbing on a different instrument track with a different virtual instrument, the original track & vi will sound when the midi keyboard is played, even though the original track is not in record and on a different midi channel. I am now going back to using midi tracks with separate aux returns. Although this option works more reliably for this issue than using instrument tracks, until I actually engage record in the second midi track, the active keyboard will play midi into the first midi track and sound notes thru the first virtual instrument even though that midi track is not in record.

Yes, I have had inputs assigned to the instrument track (as per the workaround described by Digidesign in their Read Me).

This one has me baffled. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Odd Midi/Virtual Instrument Problems with PT7+

You might have the MIDI pref checked that enables MIDI thru upon track selection... try changing that pref to when the channel is put into record... hope this helps...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Glenn,

From the "What's New in HD 7.0.pdf" - page 62

Also, Pro Tools Reference Guide - page 189

You have discovered a new (very much wanted) feature -- in that you can use the selected midi track as your midi thru - even if it's not record enabled. This is an OPTION that you can select (or change or disable if you hate it - I love it).

You really should read the "what's new in PT7" docs -- you'll discover a lot and this kind of stuff won't hang you up.

oops--- Ray got the answer out before I could finish typing. Good job!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Gentlemen, much embarassment here - I'm usually the first to recommend the manual, but apparently the last to take my own advice. In skimming thru the "What's New" manual, I didn't grasp the major signal re-routing that the simple "midi thru" would make.

So, now Jeremy, what do you use it for and why do you love it so much? I guess I don't see the use for it, but it might be the way I use my rig. And thanks Ray.