Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Cant record reason tracks via rewire

I can create the tracks in PT, and assign Reason as the IN (plug in), but after creating the loop, or whatever, I cant get the track into PT. I can hear it, but the only option in the file menu is "export as midi" the others are not avail. This happens in Rex and Redrum, I havent even tried the others yet. I should tell you im running Adapted, it that the issue?
Ive tried every combo of record in the transport, both in reason and PT, but nothing seems to do the trick. the "to track" button in the rex player does nothing. recording the loop into a midi track doesnt work. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! fugggggg. A few times ive recorded silience (I can see the file being created, but its a flat wave line... nothing) I dont really know about busses, admittedly it could be that, but im not sure.

Please help.
thx,
rob

1.33Ghz PB w/ 768 Mram, osx
PT 6.? w/Mbox,
radium61 via USB.
EventTR6's
Old 06-09-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Cant record reason tracks via rewire

Is seams like you should read your protools manual on this situation. You seem to be all over the place.

Here on some tips

1)Create a Aux track(stereo). Insert Reason. Reason must be slave so have it opened last before PT. Turn up the Fader to unity. Select l-r bus for reason. In reason, select an instrument, say nnxt and make sure you see the midi icon to the left of the sequencer on it. Load up a sound.

2)Create a midi track. In the Output box, Select through the list of reason instruments. When you first loaded up an instrument in step 1, make sure you select that particular one so you can send midi to trigger that sound in reason.

3)Record enable the midi track and play away.

Make sure that before you do all these that your midi keyboard is set up to recieve midi from the Audio Midi Setup window found in applications.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:48 AM

Recording takes place before the plugin section on an audio track...so, if you've got it rewired into an audio track, record-enabling that track and hitting record will not actually track anything but silence (what exists before the plugin section). In order to record it, you need to route it in such a way that the sound hits an audio track before the inserts:

-Load rewire on an aux track.
-Set the aux track's output to a bus.
-Create an audio track.
-Set the Audio Track's input to the same bus.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:41 AM

word. another thing you might want to consider is that you don't have to mix it down into pro tools. if it works for you, you can just leave it on the aux input track and when you bounce to disk, all your stuff from reason will be in the bounced file. it doesn't matter that it's not an audio track in pro tools.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all the assistance/ input. It is much appreciated.

It appears as if Ive recorded someting, however, upon attempting to play (listen) to what Ive recorded, the transport line moves across the section, but I hear nothing. Im working on it though...

I must say that I got more out of the three responses to this post than I did out the manual that came with my Mbox, AND some book I bought by Thompson Pub, called ProTools Ignite! (Out of 400+ pgs it has a whole 1/2 paragraph on rewire), and the Reason book from the same pub only gives examples for Cubase, Sonar ,and Acid.

Im currently taking a PT class 1x week, but Im making an effort to figure out stuff and move as fast as I can.
I didnt feel like wating till next Monday to ask my question just to be told "we'll get to that soon" , so If you feel like Im a complete idiot dont waste your time, or mine, by responding to my post.

... but if you feel like I am an idiot, and you'd like to help anyways... PLEASE DO!

thanks again,
rob
Old 06-10-2004, 04:12 PM

I'd concur with Chris C., but I'd go further to suggest that you create a template for using rewire with reason, so that you don't spend all your time setting the thing up. Check the manual for full detail, but basically do the following:

1. Create the setup you want (ie, 1. midi track, 2. aux track bussed out, and 3. audio track with input from aux bus--make one of these sets for each output you want to use from Reason--you might try one for each type of device, or if you want to go crazy, each channel in Redrum, too..?)

2. Close the session (I think that you need to do this, but am not sure), switch to finder and locate the session file.

3. Select the session file and Get Info (Apple - I). Check the box that says "Stationary Pad".

Voila! You will then have a template pre-routed for reason audio and midi input from which to start each time you create a new session with Reason. (A little dot appears in front of the file to indicate that it's a template, rather than a regular session.)

I'd highly recommend it!

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2004, 04:40 PM

If you want to record the plugin to the same track it's inserted on you'll need to disable the plugin to hear what you've recorded when you're playing back.

It's really easy - just hold down Control and Command and click on the Reason plugin.

When you're ready to listen to Reason coming in again just re-enable the plugin with the same command.