How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Default Adjusting the midi for latency?

Hey fellow PT folks.

So I made a few songs with Reason as my drumkit using producer kits.

Recorded the usual guitar/bass vocals etc.

But as much as I liked the overall sound I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Finally someone noticed that the drums seemed to be behind about a half second.

Sure enough.. they were. Instead of having them play out of reason I cooked them to another audio track through the bus. This allowed me to see how far back they were.

Now. I can adjust it by hand and ear but I was wondering. Isn't there a way to test for the actual latency occurring and then know the exact amount of milliseconds it is off and then just adjust by exactly that amount?

I did a few songs like this and though guessing is close enough I would like an exact performance line up as it was played.

Just wanted to know how others have adjusted for this since I am the last to discover this midi latency delay has been an issue for a while now.

Thanks for any info. :)
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Adjusting the midi for latency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Hey fellow PT folks.

So I made a few songs with Reason as my drumkit using producer kits.

Recorded the usual guitar/bass vocals etc.

But as much as I liked the overall sound I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Finally someone noticed that the drums seemed to be behind about a half second.

Sure enough.. they were. Instead of having them play out of reason I cooked them to another audio track through the bus. This allowed me to see how far back they were.

Now. I can adjust it by hand and ear but I was wondering. Isn't there a way to test for the actual latency occurring and then know the exact amount of milliseconds it is off and then just adjust by exactly that amount?

I did a few songs like this and though guessing is close enough I would like an exact performance line up as it was played.

Just wanted to know how others have adjusted for this since I am the last to discover this midi latency delay has been an issue for a while now.

Thanks for any info. :)
Yes, just select the area of delay on any track in the Edit window and choose minutes/seconds view at the top of the Edit window and it will tell you exactly what the amount of time is.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 AM

Well, I mean I can use the zoom tool to zoom in until I have milliseconds of slide and can easily move the audio clip in wave view left or right (backwards/forward) in time.

What I am trying to see though is how to get Pro Tools to report the amount of Delay that the midi is creating.

Or is that what you are telling me to do. Cause right now I have no indicator. Only that when I bake the sound to a track do I see that its behind.. But no actual data that say.. "Hey this is lagging by x amount milliseconds" to which I could then by hand adjust it by that amount.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well, I mean I can use the zoom tool to zoom in until I have milliseconds of slide and can easily move the audio clip in wave view left or right (backwards/forward) in time.

What I am trying to see though is how to get Pro Tools to report the amount of Delay that the midi is creating.

Or is that what you are telling me to do. Cause right now I have no indicator. Only that when I bake the sound to a track do I see that its behind.. But no actual data that say.. "Hey this is lagging by x amount milliseconds" to which I could then by hand adjust it by that amount.
You can view the Delay Compensation info on the Mix Window, but I don't know of any way to view MIDI latency. My thoughts would be to figure out why the MIDI tracks are delayed in the first place. I'm not totally understanding what you're doing here:

Quote:
"Instead of having them play out of reason I cooked them to another audio track through the bus."
What plugin are you using for the drums and how are you sending them through a bus? When I record MIDI drums in Pro Tools, there's no MIDI latency, other than the latency caused by the hardware buffer while playing them, but Pro Tools compensates for that latency upon playback so they're exactly where they should be.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 AM

I use good ol' fashion boom. On occasion I will insert my own kits using structure.