Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-10-2021, 12:29 PM

Default Unable to change buffer size

Hi,

I'd like RME's buffer size change in PT (under Hardware) to take effect without the need to restart the app, but it doesn't. Anyone?

Last edited by pilp; 05-10-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Unable to change buffer size

Are you letting Windows use your PT interface as the “default sound device?” You need to designate that task to the onboard sound card.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:45 PM

oh. yes...my RME Babyface Pro is also my default W10 audio I/O as it has one set WDM device in its USB settings panel. Should I just turn that off then?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:47 PM

You need to designate that task to the onboard sound card. If you don’t designate a “sounds” device, it’ll grab the first one it finds, which appears to be your RME. ProTools is a total diva when it comes to hardware sharing.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:49 PM

Thing is, I don't use my onboard sound card. In fact, I turned it off in my mobo's BIOS. Can't I just turn the RME WDM I/O off and call it a day?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM

How will Pro Tools access it if you turn it off? See above. You need to designate SOMETHING for Windows sounds, even if you don’t intend to use them.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:53 PM

Are you familiar with how RME drivers work? Just curious, so I don't end up writing a massive post. hehe.

Long story short, they have two sets of drivers: WDM and ASIO.

I use ASIO in PT, while I use one instance of WDM on W10 (so I can monitor sound coming in from Chrome, iTunes, etc...)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:04 PM

Doesn’t matter. Windows and Pro Tools don’t like to share hardware. Windows will lock out the sample rate & bit depth. As you’ve discovered. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for all my non-PT sounds, including Source Connect, (sounds WAY better than onboard audio) and my UA Apollo STRICTLY for Pro Tools. This is a Windows “thing,” not an RME thing.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:19 PM

Actually, RME's drivers are truly multi-client - I have an RME UFX - and arguably the best of any interface manufacturer. His issue is Buffer Size, not Sample Rate or Bit Depth. Buffer Size has to be changed in the Fireface control panel, not TotalMix. It cannot be changed within Pro Tools. Sample Rate and Bit Depth can be changed within Pro Tools, at least with my UFX.

That said it is always best to make your onboard soundcard the default for Windows Sounds/Audio and leave your interface for Pro Tools only, even one with multi-client drivers.

What I have done to avoid any issues, at least with Sample Rate and Bit Depth, is set all my Pro Tools sessions to 24/48 and my onboard Realtek soundcard is also set at 24/48. I can always Bounce or Export at a lower Sample Rate and/or Bit Depth.

To swrecord who is using a separate interface for Source-Connect. When using S-C's Link Plug-in I was getting occasional squeaks and squawks in the incoming signal. S-C's support told me to either use S-C standalone, use a high buffer setting (512 or better, which induces too much latency for me), or, as you are doing, purchase a separate interface. Fortunately, RME's TotalMix allows me to route signals in such a way that I can use Source-Connect standalone in, AFAIK, any situation I can think of, keep a 64 buffer in Pro Tools, record myself and the other end and have a talkback mic too, even have a producer remote direct and feed them to the other end if the studio isn't set up for that, although I can't think of a studio recording me that couldn't.

TotalMix is a game changer for me, but it sure takes a bit of head scratching and brain cramping to be sure you're doing the routing correctly. I'm putting together a Word document with text and pictures to keep it straight.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-15-2021, 02:14 PM

Fwiw, I've been using an RME AIO for years as both onboard sound and PT, and I've never had an issue.

Like Weed said, the buffer is changed in the RME control panel, not PT, and it's usually just a 'set and forget' kind of thing.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey