Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Default Constant loss of connection with interface

Hello I have recently been having the issue of constant loss of connection with my interface and I'm not sure what the problem is. My interface is a digi003 rack, pro tools 10 LE, using imac OS 10.9.3, and I am keeping the hardware buffer size at it's highest for mixing and the connection still gets lost. The weird thing about it is that i will lose connection almost immediately after starting a session and then I will change the h/w buffer size from the highest number to the next number down and then it will reconnect. I'm using Superior Drummer 2 and Trilian in each session which take up space but it shouldn't be causing me this many problems. I'm sure there is just something small I'm overlooking but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Constant loss of connection with interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymonize View Post
Hello I have recently been having the issue of constant loss of connection with my interface and I'm not sure what the problem is. My interface is a digi003 rack, pro tools 10 LE, using imac OS 10.9.3, and I am keeping the hardware buffer size at it's highest for mixing and the connection still gets lost. The weird thing about it is that i will lose connection almost immediately after starting a session and then I will change the h/w buffer size from the highest number to the next number down and then it will reconnect. I'm using Superior Drummer 2 and Trilian in each session which take up space but it shouldn't be causing me this many problems. I'm sure there is just something small I'm overlooking but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,

Pro tools 10 is not supported on OS 10.9.x Mavericks and there are no drivers qualified for the 003 rack. It might work, but you'll likely encounter issues.

Can you revert back to OS 10.8.x on the iMac?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Yes if you want a stable pro tools session, this is what you need to do....10.8.4 is great with PT 10.

I'm running that myself, PT10.3.7 with 10.8.4
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Damn! Is there a way to revert back to OS 10.8.4? And if so, will I lose any data that I have done since using Maverics? I have done a LOT of work on my computer and can't afford to lose any info.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Damn! Is there a way to revert back to OS 10.8.4? And if so, will I lose any data that I have done since using Maverics? I have done a LOT of work on my computer and can't afford to lose any info.
Yes, its very easy. go to the image backup you made (like with Carbon Copy Cloner) before upgrading and restore to that. If that CC image was made to a bootable drive just go and boot from that drive directly and see if things work OK before restoring.

And if your dog ate all your carefully made backups.... then reisntall Mountain Lion from scratch (and yes back up what you have now before starting). A good idea is to grab a new drive and install the clean OS on that. If you don't have a Mountain Lion install media you can buy it from the Apple Store. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion.

If your current session files are on a separate audio/session drive like they are supposed to be then you can roll back your OS drive/partition without affecting them.

You should be backing up user files independent of system restore images, like make Carbon Copy Cloner full images (bootable on external drives that are removed and stored somewhere safe, and rotate image backups through several backup drives) and then user files/sessions copied manually to a NAS server and/or backed up using Time Machine. A part of workign out any backup plan is workign out what scenarios you want to survive and how hard it will be to restore things. Needing to roll back the OS to the last installed version (or earlier) but keep any recent user file changes are an obvious need to plan for, as are things like users accidentally deleting files, and doing so and not noticing for a while etc.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info. After a little research I have found that if I upgrade to pro tools 11 it is compatible with Mavericks which I am considering. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. After a little research I have found that if I upgrade to pro tools 11 it is compatible with Mavericks which I am considering. What are your thoughts?
PT11 is also compatible with Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.x). I'd revert back to ML to tell the truth.

QAPLA!