Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-04-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Studio Setup Advice Needed

Equipment list:

1. HD accel
2. Rosetta 200
3. Mic Pre running AES into Rosetta
4. Powered Speakers running AES out of Rosetta

The only way I can get Mic Pre input into PT is to switch the Rosetta to AES input -but in doing so I lose the OPTION input (i.e. X-HD card) which takes PT out of the speakers. Can I record from the mic pre and listen to speakers simultaneously? Also, if you have any comments on best way to configure headphone monitoring for this system it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for help,
-cc1
Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Studio Setup Advice Needed

Why is your Mic Pre running out AES ?? The whole beauty of getting that Rosetta 200 is to use its analog to digital conversion, not some Mic Pre Amps.

To get this system to work optimaly I would switch (if you can) the Mic Pre output to XLR analog, and run that into one of the analog inputs into the Rosetta 200. Then the 200 is doing the coversion, which it should be anyway. I gaurantee the Rosetta 200's conversion is of a higher qualities than that Mic Pre's is. You bought it,, so use it. Even if it involves having to get another mic pre. Honestly the best mic pres I ever heard have NO conversion, and therefore NO digital outs. (via Manley mono mic pre, Earthworks, GML 8304, Avalon, etc..)

For the headphone monitoring, the best thing I have come up with is to get a "source selector" type thing. I have a Studio Com, others are out there as well. It sounds like you have digital monitors if you are also going out digital AES to them.. So be careful to get the right "source selector" for the job. And they have a great headphone system on all of them. Some even have "talkback" feature for your mic booth headphones.

But damn dude, you are running digital in BEFORE the Rosetta, and digital out FROM the Rosetta,,,, why did you even get the Rosetta ?? It is doing no conversion for you !!! The beauty of that thing is its high quality conversion. You have to trust analog a little more, and run analog INTO that Rosetta, and out is another story, if you have digital speakers well then that is it. But you can also run analog OUT of the Rosetta to gain it's quality digital to analog conversion. It's conversion is better than that of them monitors I bet....

Point is-- Use that Rosetta man It's a beautiful piece. Use the Force Luke -- Just TRUST --

Good Luck,, and hope this helps--
Old 11-04-2004, 07:26 PM

Infa,
The mic pre is a liquid channel and speakers are dynaudio air 15's. I've found that the rosetta can send out signal to both the digital and analog outs simultaneously (thank god) -the 96IO could not do that. So I'll setup some kind of monitoring with the analog outs as they don't shutoff when I switch inputs on the rosetta. I know it seems wierd that I'm not converting with the rosetta (should I go out analog out of the liquid channel?) -the reason is I was able to try out the rosetta and it sounded significantly better than the 96IO with my setup (maybe because of clocking?). Anyway thanks for input. -also let me know when your website is up.

Rg,
-cc1
Old 11-04-2004, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Infa,
The mic pre is a liquid channel and speakers are dynaudio air 15's. I've found that the rosetta can send out signal to both the digital and analog outs simultaneously (thank god) -the 96IO could not do that. So I'll setup some kind of monitoring with the analog outs as they don't shutoff when I switch inputs on the rosetta. I know it seems wierd that I'm not converting with the rosetta (should I go out analog out of the liquid channel?) -the reason is I was able to try out the rosetta and it sounded significantly better than the 96IO with my setup (maybe because of clocking?). Anyway thanks for input. -also let me know when your website is up.

Rg,
-cc1
Cool !! I will do that for sure...

Uhhhmmmm,, oh yeah,, Yes, the clocking is better (IMO) in the Rosetta than the 96i/o so this IS why you noticed that difference.
(good ears)--

But see that SAME difference you noticed there, you will notice AGAIN by using the Rosetta for incoming conversion. Its converters are better than that Liquid channel so once again you will get that same noticable difference of audio translation quality gain by making the Rosetta convert your signal rather than the Liquid channel AS you did from making the Rosetta clocking you signal rather than the 96 i/o...

Yes,, I would go OUT analog of the liquid channel into the analog INPUTS of the Rosetta.

The outputing is a different thing. Since you have digital speakers, and (I imagine) you are not going to/through a mixing board, then the way you are monitoring your set up is fine (IMO) ....(via digitaly out of the rosetta to your monitors)..

And don't forget to look into a good "Source Selector", then you can have a real proper headphone monitoring set up, and maybe even get "talkback" out of it too. Here is the company that makes the one I have... -- http://www.studio-tech.com/StudioComm.htm --

Let me know --