Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Accidental dual subsciption-Avid won't cancel

Hey folks,

Wanted to point out some funky company ethics I am running into. Have any of you had this happen? Were you able to resolve?

I was scrambling to prepare for a Livestream(the new regular) and trying to use Pro Tools as a mixer going into Facebook live(Never got this working right, but thats another issue)

I was having some weird latency issues that didn't make sense and I hadn't seen before. Tried to contact tech support. I went into my user account and got my info. I have always found it strange that Pro Tools keeps all of the old purchases together with the active one. It can be quite confusing, especially as many of us only look in there when we are needing tech support.

In any case, the number i put in said that I didn't have tech support. I went back in and mistakingly thought that my active subscription was for the software only and not for tech support and software upgrades. The item above said that it was suspended. I went online and renewed that subscription and called tech support.

I never actually spoke to a tech support person. My initial inquiry was never solved and I still have the same issue. I found out while speaking to him that I had purchased the wrong item. I now have 2 parallel subscriptions for 1 Pro tools studio. Naturally I asked to cancel. That was a week ago on Thursday(March 26). I just received an email saying that I had agreed to the terms of the subscription and it couldn't be cancelled. This is ridiculous. I clearly told the rep that it was a mistake and that I had one studio.

I am completely baffled and stunned by what seems to be unbelievably funky customer service, company ethics, and probably illegal business practice.

Has anyone else dealt with this? The company structure is so opaque. I don't even know how to address it

Thanks
Ian
Old 04-03-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Accidental dual subsciption-Avid won't cancel

Hey Ian - Sorry for the trouble here. I see that the rep's reply explained the subscription policy and said he was working with management on this - sorry that reply wasn't worded clearly. I've escalated the case on your behalf to get this fixed.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM

As a long time Pro Tools user it has been really frustrating dealing with all of the changes with the company. In this case, I was dealing with something that seemed to be a bug, and with all the money that has been paid(as opposed to a one time fee, we as consumers are now on subscription) it is ironic that customer support has gotten way worse.

I was ported to someone who had no knowledge of what he was talking about, and was speaking from a script, was obviously speaking English as a second language, which greatly impacted what should have been a simple call.

I was on deadline for a big live-cast which was majorly compromised by this issue, and the lack of tech support, which not only took up time I didn't have, but didn't even resolve the initial problem i was calling about.

I make my living recording and performing music, and have been paying money into the Pro Tools world for a long time to try to provide a solid system for the standards that I am held to. Situations like this should be unavoidable
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM

I had a client last year that "thought he was renewing" his support plan instead Avid took away his Perpetual license and substituted with a subscription license
Avid would not cancel the subscription and give him back his perpetual license.