Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Default Has anyone tried PT11 with ProControl yet?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Has anyone tried PT11 with ProControl yet?

Yup. It doesn't work. The control surface is detected, but then it fails to load ProControl[_M].bundle, as it doesn't exist in /Applications/Pro\ Tools.app/Contents/Frameworks/Controllers.

(Copying it over from 10.3.6 won't work because that is a 32-bit binary.)
Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Yup same here
No Procontrol, No Waves means no good for me!
I'll stick with 10.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Any chance some cool genius can write an app so ProControl will work with PT11?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Any chance some cool genius can write an app so ProControl will work with PT11?
Reverse-engineering the protocol and the controller plug-in API would cost more in developer time than, say, a System 5 MC. I doubt it's going to happen unless someone with the right domain expertise has a LOT of time on their hands.

It's interesting that the code to detect the Pro Control is still there, but the personality plugin is missing. I guess we'll never know the engineering vs business tradeoff in not shopping it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM

I would expect that the Ethernet reader in the PT11 code is just showing what is connected, but if there is no further pro control code then nothing will happen. Same will go for the Control 24. Avid have simply removed the routines that were in PT10.

Remember that 32 versus 64 is the memory address size, if the controller code is included in PT11 when it was compiled (translated from English to OS's 1s & 0s then it would be "64" by default. Unless they changed the controller routines, and I don't know why they would, as PT11 is an audio engine upgrade (?), why mess with the controller engine and give themselves more work. So I am very sceptical that they did nothing to disable the software, think they did by taking out the software routines and so close us out. I would be pleased to find out how wrong I am Avid, so please correct me?

Avid need to put the pro control and Control 24 subroutine coding back in. This would take some time and a little testing I would think, but it looks like Avid can't be bothered (read low priority) for the pt11 current release.
Unfortunately for us early PT and controller investors we have been forgotten (read low priority). So our loyalty has been rewarded with if you can't or won't continue to invest large amounts in our closed controller protocols every 6 or 7 years then we will leave you behind (you have been warned Icon and C24 owners!!)

The message is clear do not buy a Avid controller, buy a Eucon compatible unit as they have lives outside of PTs so will continue probably for a longer time.

My PT 10 HD2 system will just have to work for a few more years

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM

I am curious as to how many Pro Controls and Control24s are in the field (and working). I am guessing the numbers are high.
So supporting say the 003 makes sense but not large formats like the Pro Control?
Gimme a break. Behind their back is the one finger salute I'm guessing.
Studios are not gonna throw out their large investment in controllers just to update PT. Who is running the marketing side of Avid? They have no clue.
Avid put the Pro Control and Control24 profiles back in PT11! Please

Last edited by bcwiz; 07-01-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
I am curious as to how many Pro Controls and Control24s are in the field (and working). I am guessing the numbers are high.
So supporting say the 003 makes sense but not large formats like the Pro Control?
Gimme a break.
Studios are not gonna throw out their large investment in controllers just to update PT. Who is running the marketing side of Avid? They have no clue.
Avid put the Pro Control and Control24 profiles back in PT11!
In fairness to Avid, it was discontinued a long time ago. But yes, I'd be happy if the controller personality plugin mysteriously re-appeared in 11.x...
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM

X 1,000,000,000
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Please Let Me Continue to Use My Pro Control

Pro Toos 11 seems to work much more efficiently than 10 (although very few of my plugins work with 11 at this time.). I am confident, though that they will work soon, when Softube, Sonnox, Waves, et al get around to releasing the updates....The thing that really irritates me is that my beautiful, perfectly functioning Pro Control will be rendered obsolete. I hope that Avid or someone will develop a mod or software patch that will make it work. It is difficut to think about spending $14-1500 on a tiny plastic Artist Control when my Pro Control is still working PERFECTLY!