Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2022, 02:57 AM

Default ACX Nonsense

I used to post here way back when the D was for Digidesign!

Anyways, I have been using Pro Tools for a very long time now. I recently got an infuriating job taking someone else's recorded project and exporting it to ACX standards. I set my parameters in Pro Tools, and made sure everything was in line. Setting a limiter to stop the peaks at -3 is not rocket science - BUT - I got repeated flags saying everything from I was over the -3 level to I was exporting in VBR at 148kbps.

I ended up getting it all done, but the meters I was using in Pro Tools were not correlating to whatever Audible was doing. And for the record, I was exporting at 192kbps CBR.

Does anyone have any tips on calibrating my meters to display what Audible wants to see? I have the waves PAZ and WLM meters as well as the T-Racks 5 suite.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:05 AM

Default Re: ACX Nonsense

Which version of Pro Tools are you on? Recent versions of Pro Tools, in preferences, allows you to choose alternate metering ballistics/colours (Setup>Preferences>Metering tab.) I'd choose Sample Peak.

Remember metering on tracks is pre-fader/pre-plugins on audio tracks. So you'd need to monitor the next track/bus in the chain if you want to see what is happening.

Also, what limiter were you using? I'd make sure you are using an intersample limiter (like Nugen's ISL) if you need to make sure you aren't crossing -3dBFS.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:27 PM

Indeed, ACX seems to have no correlation with anything for me either. My best suggestion is to take an audio file that actually does pass and use that to compare your work to. Ozone 9(even the elements version I believe) allows for imported files to be used for both quick comparisons(hit a button in the plugin) and to use as a target for their Master Assistant feature(which the cheap version may not have)

BTW, another option is to download Audacity as ACX can run inside it. Import your final and check it there to see if its good for delivery.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 04-05-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
BTW, another option is to download Audacity as ACX can run inside it. Import your final and check it there to see if its good for delivery.
I ended up using the ACX Checker analyzer on Audacity and was amazed that software had a use - I haven't looked at it since it was new and am constantly asked by my clients "How can I do this myself with Audacity."

The files kept getting the ACX warning room tone too low so I added my own just to pass it but two files said that even when the noise was distractingly loud so I just submitted them with what I considered reasonable noise.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I ended up doing just that. The ACX checker tool is handy; finally I have found a use for audacity. A lot of my clients ask me "How can I do that with Audacity?" How can someone be so bold

This customer was happy in the end.