Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Default help ( differrent audio playing

Hi everyone,

I moved some songs around to only work on three good songs toward the front of the session, all is well except the third song is playing audio that is simply not there, its the vocal track that is playing from another song, but it's gets really weird, cause the vocal track that is suppose to be there is there and won't play, the different vocals plays, but when I press stop and scrub the region it plays that right region for the song and clearly everything visually matches up, but when I press play another vocal region plays?, anyway to fix this?, thanks

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Re: help ( differrent audio playing

I've had this happen only twice in 17 years of PT use, and both times it was solved by running Disk Warrior on the audio (session) drive. Good luck!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWillis View Post
I've had this happen only twice in 17 years of PT use, and both times it was solved by running Disk Warrior on the audio (session) drive. Good luck!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
BDwillis, well i guess I'm not alone and I do have disk warrior but the last time I used it it didn't do the job. Maybe I did it wrong the first time using disk warrior?, do you remember what you did on disk warrior?, thanks, and have a great weekend.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Pretty straightforward, really: Under the "Directory" mode, click on "Rebuild". DW will then repair any problems it finds on the way to rebuilding the directory. Before replacing the old directory with the new one, DW will display a detail of what was repaired... anything of consequence will be displayed in red for you to review. Last step is for you to click "Replace".

I used to take the time to check any of the "red" items, but anymore I just hit "replace" and get on with work. I've heard of some people having problems with DW, but I never have, and I use it fairly often.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 AM

Are you using Melodyne?

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 12-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
Are you using Melodyne?
Your all to cool on helping my situation, AND DARN SERGIUS, your good, and you are correct I have MELODYNE on that track, but the first region of that vocals is playing except the second region. What next boss?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Any hidden tracks that are active?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Any hidden tracks that are active?
I'll check Doughfather, but on the same song there is two separate region of vocals on that track, the second vocal region on the same song is there and visual, when I'm playing that section I should be hearing the vocals, but it's not playing, but as soon as I hit the stop button I hear an instant vocal blurp of that region, also SERGIUOS mentioned MELODYNE, it's on that track and when I bypass MELODYNE on that track the original vocals are audible, but when I turn it back on just the first region will play and the second will not be audible, and it's clearly transferred on the MELODYNE graph, I guess I can do the re transfer again on MELODYNE and start over? unless you have any idea to bring back a easier way?, THANK A MILLION everyone out there.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 AM

It took me a little reading or watching the tutorials to figure this out. Sometimes you just can't get away without reading the manual...

So, read the manual (Quick Start section will do), watch the tutorials, and you'll get it.

The way Melodyne works is different from your regular RTAS plugin i.e. Antares Auto-Tune or Waves Tune.

First, you must transfer the audio you want to manipulate into Melodyne.
Now the culprit: During playback, those passages that have been transferred to Melodyne will be played back by Melodyne; all other parts of the original track by the DAW. (Melodyne saves the transferred audio in the plugin folder of each session).

So if you move the original audio in time, or even if you change playlists within the same track (which is what happened to me; I had changed playlists and was still hearing the audio from the previous playlist, I spent 30 minutes searching the DUC, and then I tried bypassing Melodyne... ), every time you play through that point in the session, Melodyne will play the transferred audio over the original audio.

Finally with Melodyne, the way to render the changes made to the audio in Melodyne, is to bounce the track to another audio track. You'll be able then to clear all the Melodyne (within Melodyne) files, and take the plugin out to recover some processing power, or you can always keep everything, and make it inactive, in case you want to come back to it later.

So, a little different but imho, Melodyne is worth it. I think it sounds way better than Auto-Tune (For realistic, transparent pitch correction at least).

Copied from the manual:

["*Transfer*
Before you can work with Melodyne essential, you must first transfer to it from your DAW the passages you wish to edit; each passage is played back by the DAW and recorded simultaneously by Melodyne essential; only then, after a short pause as the material is analyzed, is it ready for editing. The plug-in does not operate in any conventional sense like a real-time insert effect.

Activate the Transfer key in Melodyne essential, play the desired track segment in the DAW and, when it’s finished, stop the playback in the DAW. You can transfer multiple extracts from different regions of the DAW track.

*Replace Ranges*
During playback after one or several transfers, those passages that have been transferred to Melodyne essential will be played back by Melodyne essential; all other parts of the original track by the DAW. From the View menu, choose ‘Show Replace Ranges’. All sections or regions that will be played back by Melodyne essential (as opposed to the DAW will now be marked. Such regions can be extended simply by dragging their borders with the mouse. To shorten a playback region, delete a few blobs and select ‘Set Replace Ranges to Notes’ from the context menu of the Bar Ruler.

*Saving and making permanent your editing*
The contents of Melodyne essential are automatically saved with the DAW project. If you want to render permanent the contents of Melodyne essential as an audio file, you must use the DAW’s Bounce function."]

Btw, nice "La Villa Strangiato" cover! RUSH rules!!!

https://linktr.ee/sergius128

Last edited by Sergius; 12-05-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM

I think Sergius nailed it... after re-reading that you had moved audio in a track that Melodyne is on, you would indeed need to "re-transfer" into Melodyne so it would know the new location of the audio relative to the timeline. I'd be amazed if that doesn't solve it.

Hats off to you Sergius, nice detective work! Basslik, please let us know if it works.

Warmest Regards,
Brian