Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 05:41 AM

Default Backing up sessions

I was wondering what the best way to backup a session was. I usually just burn the files on to a CD, but sometimes when I burn the "audio" (wav) files as DATA instead of MUSIC (I'm using NERO burning program) and then when I need to call them up from the CD they are not readable - it says that they are not in "wav" format. I have at least 15 CDs of backed up material and I now know that some of these wav files are worthless. What is the best way? A tape drive or a zip drive? An Iomega backup drive or another internal/external hard drive? Or am I just burning the CD's wrong.... should I burn the wavs as actual music instead of data?
Thanks - Jon
Old 09-18-2001, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Backing up sessions

Hi:
I've been backing up sessions as data with Adaptec "Easy CD Creator". The only twist is that when you want to open the sessions on a new computer you have to go thru all of the audio files and un-check the "read-only" box and select "archive" in order to be able to edit/modify the session. Otherwise the back-up to CD process works very easily and very well with that program. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2001, 10:51 AM

Hi-
Always burn your backups... including/especialy .wav's as "data" files. When you choose the "audio" option, your .wav's are converted to .cda format. As for the ones you've already transfered and "lost", locate the .cda files and use a program of choice to rip them back to .wav files. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nny:
I was wondering what the best way to backup a session was. I usually just burn the files on to a CD, but sometimes when I burn the "audio" (wav) files as DATA instead of MUSIC (I'm using NERO burning program) and then when I need to call them up from the CD they are not readable - it says that they are not in "wav" format. I have at least 15 CDs of backed up material and I now know that some of these wav files are worthless. What is the best way? A tape drive or a zip drive? An Iomega backup drive or another internal/external hard drive? Or am I just burning the CD's wrong.... should I burn the wavs as actual music instead of data?
Thanks - Jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-18-2001, 01:27 PM

DVD-RAM! 9.4gigs

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 09-19-2001, 06:25 AM

Is the DVD Ram a CD that holds 9.4 gigs or is it like another hard drive? I have a DVD player on my computer and a CD burner/reader, can I use this thing?
Old 09-19-2001, 02:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nny:
Is the DVD Ram a CD that holds 9.4 gigs or is it like another hard drive? I have a DVD player on my computer and a CD burner/reader, can I use this thing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, a dvd ram drive is a type of dvd drive that will allow you to write directly to a dvd disc. The dvd drive you have will not write to anything (player only). This would be an additional drive to add to your system. Be prepared for a hefty price tag and note that a disc burned in a dvd ram drive will not play in a normal dvd or cd player.