Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-13-2024, 03:14 PM

Default Big computer woes and midi

I have a Mac Studio, 32 gigs of ram, M1 processor. OS is Ventura 13.6 and Pro Tools version 24.03

I call up a single instantiation of a softsynth, say Omnisphere as an example. One track in the entire session, just an instrument track with Omnisphere. No plug-ins. No nuttn' except Omnisphere. Within seconds of hitting record Pro Tools throws the error code that I need to increase the buffer size. I switched from 256 to 512 and the same behavior. I tried 1024 with the same behavior.

There is no other software running in the background and Mac Activity Monitor reflects that. The Pro Tools Session Monitor reflects a normal load for Omnisphere. Nothing there is unusable. The Activity Monitor on the Mac reflects Pro Tool, with Omnisphere using 1.98 gig.

I'm at a complete loss and a complete dead end. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-13-2024, 05:09 PM
take77

Default Re: Big computer woes and midi

Does it happen immediately after hitting play for the first time just after opening the session and then fine after that?

I'm not on Mac but Spectrasonics Trillian always gives me an error the first time I hit play after opening the session. After that, it doesn't happen the rest of the session.
I've gotten used to it as expected behavior now.
So it might be how Spectrasonics works with your system like does with mine.

With the latest 2024.3.1 dynamic plug-in fix for Windows, I'm wondering if it'll still do that.

Does the error occur with different presets? Maybe that particular preset has some extra processing going on like a convolution verb enabled.

Last edited by take77; 04-16-2024 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:40 PM

Naw, I should have mentioned it does the same thing with audio. Doesn't really matter softsynth or straightforward audio. I hit record and Pro Tools is shakey and jittery then somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute or so PT just gives up ship. I have a 5-year-old Mac Mini with the current version of PT that just scorches the performance of this Mac Studio. Gotta be the computer but I’ll be darned with how to move forward.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:47 AM
take77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackieD View Post
Naw, I should have mentioned it does the same thing with audio. Doesn't really matter softsynth or straightforward audio. I hit record and Pro Tools is shakey and jittery then somewhere between 30 seconds and a minute or so PT just gives up ship. I have a 5-year-old Mac Mini with the current version of PT that just scorches the performance of this Mac Studio. Gotta be the computer but I’ll be darned with how to move forward.
Ah, I see.
I read your post again and see you mentioned Omnisphere just "as an example".
Old 04-13-2024, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I have a Mac Studio, 32 gigs of ram, M1 processor. OS is Ventura 13.6 and Pro Tools version 24.03

I call up a single instantiation of a softsynth, say Omnisphere as an example. One track in the entire session, just an instrument track with Omnisphere. No plug-ins. No nuttn' except Omnisphere. Within seconds of hitting record Pro Tools throws the error code that I need to increase the buffer size. I switched from 256 to 512 and the same behavior. I tried 1024 with the same behavior.

There is no other software running in the background and Mac Activity Monitor reflects that. The Pro Tools Session Monitor reflects a normal load for Omnisphere. Nothing there is unusable. The Activity Monitor on the Mac reflects Pro Tool, with Omnisphere using 1.98 gig.

I'm at a complete loss and a complete dead end. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
You've mentioned a lot of stuff but you haven't mentioned what your audio interface is. Your issues sound like a problem with the playback hardware (your audio interface or its drivers or its setup)
Old 04-14-2024, 08:03 AM

Yeah, good one. Thanks, I let that one slip. My primary interface is a Tascam Model 24 although last night we hooked up a Volt 476P (nice interface BTW), and for Midi, we are using iConnectivity MioXM. The Volt did perform slightly better than the Tascam but ya just couldn't finish a song with it.

I have Logic installed on the computer so I gave that whirl as well. Same slug as a computer. No change. I'm not sure but I suppose it could be the interface.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, good one. Thanks, I let that one slip. My primary interface is a Tascam Model 24 although last night we hooked up a Volt 476P (nice interface BTW), and for Midi, we are using iConnectivity MioXM. The Volt did perform slightly better than the Tascam but ya just couldn't finish a song with it.

I have Logic installed on the computer so I gave that whirl as well. Same slug as a computer. No change. I'm not sure but I suppose it could be the interface.
Out of interest, try your internal audio. I have no issues on a basic M2 Macbook Air just using the built in device (or using my RME Babyface). I know the Tascam at least is very much a bottom-rung soundcard.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-15-2024, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Out of interest, try your internal audio. I have no issues on a basic M2 Macbook Air just using the built in device (or using my RME Babyface). I know the Tascam at least is very much a bottom-rung soundcard.
Ah yes, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of that and perhaps running Pro Tools on the internal drive rather than my eternal. I'm gonna try another sound card just because it got pretty fanatic Saturday eve in us yanking cables and substituting hardware (all in the mane of testing,) I have some pretty stout ideas, and by process of elimination it's gotta be a sour plug-in corrupting things, the computer itself, or the soundcard/interface. Those are the only things Pro-Tool and Studio One have in common.

Today we confirm a sound card is the culprit or it gets eliminated as a suspect from the list of rapsclions.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 AM

Any DAW can be acting paranoid, if you have installed even one incompatible (badly behaving) plugin. No matter if you use it, all you need is having that plugin loaded into memory.