Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Default QC software for Quicktime files?

We have to deliver Quicktime files of various codecs with picture and multiple audio stems baked-in (to be extracted later by someone downstream).

I'm starting to research a QC solution for our management/administrators; I'd like to find an easy, user-friendly software (or even hardware) solution that would simply play the files (without creating NEW media), allow them to turn tracks on or off as needed, and have meters or some sort of visual feedback for up to 8 tracks simultaneously.

QT Pro is what they're using right now... the last version that could go "Pro" was 7 but luckily it still runs on our Macs. You can turn tracks off as needed by unchecking them in the Movie Properties window. This works OK, but there's no visual feedback for tracks.

If you know of something please pass it on, and if I find anything decent I'll post it here.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Re: QC software for Quicktime files?

Try Switch by Telestream. The basic version is free and has an audio meters window which allows you to solo tracks/turn tracks on and off.

http://www.telestream.net/switch/overview.htm

-Stone
Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM

This looks promising... I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:53 PM

Another simple solution would be mxf4mac player.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Another simple solution would be mxf4mac player.
Thanks nucelar, appreciated. I'll take a look at this.

So far we're impressed with Switch. The only thing that's weird is it plays back stereo ProRes files as dual mono (panned center). Not great for non-technical people (they may not know the difference anyway, but why make things worse?). QuickTime Pro pans the same ProRes file left and right.

On the other hand, Switch does pan H264 stereo files, so it's not like it can't do it. Not a lot going on in the Prefs. Maybe the Pro version has some control over this.