Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Default Black mod, just wondering

Hi Dan--
What sort of white paper are you looking for? Are you looking for specs or an actual white paper that covers theory and practice? Some of the things we do we don't divulge due to certain non-disclosure agreements we have with a large pro audio company. Some of it is proprietary information that was recently patented, so we have to protect it carefully from competitors. But I'm happy to share any specs or general theory you might be interested in knowing about, probably to the point that it will make your head spin.

I find it hard to believe that most people on the DUC say our work is worthless, especially since we've modified 002's and 003's for so many people who hang out on there. I would guess that it's probably a handful of armchair 'experts' who have no real experience with us as a company. I would urge you to talk to our customers, people who actually have had work done by us. There is a reason we are booked two months in advance and get lots of repeat business.

Given the fact that, as I write this, we're finishing up the converters for Mutt Lange's upcoming project with Maroon 5 and that we are currently modifying a 003 for the Jay Z and Ciara tour this summer, I'd say we have more than a little bit of credibility as a company. We have a pretty long list of impressive (and very picky) clientele; The Los Angeles Opera, Dr. Fred Bashour (writes for Pro Audio Review), Grammy winning engineer Harry Brotman, Sony Scoring, Bogner Amplification, and quite a few others. We just finished modifying a 002 which will be used for tracking all the drums on the current Rod Stewart record. This afternoon, we will be entertaining Steve Winwood and his touring manager here in our shop. In a few weeks, we will be modifying an 003 for multi-platinum songwriter Desmond Child.

You don't get clients like this by making stuff up and trying to scam people. These are people that have worked on very expensive equipment and know what's good. As a company, we've gotten customers like this by working hard and delivering results. And we've done this all mostly by word of mouth, since we have no real advertising budget.

It's true that our modification voids the Digidesign warranty, which is why we extend a two year warranty on all units we modify. The modification does not void Digidesign technical support.

Feel free to share this with these 'experts' on DUC.

Matt

MY QUESTION IS, IF THEY HAVE BIG NAMES ACTUALLY MODING THEIR 003'S, I WOULD IMAGINE THEY HAVE THE RESOURCES TO BUY ANY HIGH END CONVERTORS, LIKE A ROSETTA, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?, REALLY INTERESTED IN MODING MY UNIT, BUT I'M LEARY AS TO WHY THESE BIG ARTIST WOULD BE OWNING 003'S, ANY HELP IN MAKING MY CHOICE.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Black mod, just wondering

This Mod is one way to bump up the specifications of your system. There are other ways, it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. If you plan to keep your 002/003 for a long while and feel secure that you won’t be upgrading if Digi or someone else comes out with new hardware, and you are not concerned about any possible future compatibility issues with a new PT version, then this is an option. As you have pointed out there are other high-end converters and preamps, they don’t offer the convenience of one compact unit though. It’s all about what is best for you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM

As I was reading Basslic's post I had two thoughts. 1. I've never heard anyone bash Blacklion, sounds like the way to go if you want to hot-rod a Chevy. And 2. Exactly the same feeling he had. Why on earth would Rod Stewart and JayZ be using an 003 system? I certainly don't think they'll be enough inputs for a live concert. But even though (as I said before) I tend to like their product, there seems to be some hype going on here!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
As I was reading Basslic's post I had two thoughts. 1. I've never heard anyone bash Blacklion, sounds like the way to go if you want to hot-rod a Chevy. And 2. Exactly the same feeling he had. Why on earth would Rod Stewart and JayZ be using an 003 system? I certainly don't think they'll be enough inputs for a live concert. But even though (as I said before) I tend to like their product, there seems to be some hype going on here!
Yea the MOD sounds like a sounds investment, but the hype has me wondering????
Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Its not hype, actually he is just letting you know that people who have the money to get whatever they want for a project chose them to mod a unit for them while on tour.
Actually it makes perfect sense....but you would have to had been on a tour bus and recording to understand.....why stars would upgrade a 002/003.
Simple, HD is obsolete in these cases..... the sound quality is just as good if not better.
They will still use their xxxx pres and mics....it just going now into a BlackLion 002/003.

I used to own a console and had it modded twice....then I ran across a Signature series Rack version.... I also own the Autuer...

You might say well, I am a bit biased but.....all I can say is the guys do a damn good job...and have helped me increase my sound quality 10X's

And evertime somebody come into my studio....I get a ton of compliments about the sound before they even know its a Signature Series 002
Apollo X6. Apollo Twin.UAD2 Satellite
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 06-20-2009, 02:04 PM

This is not Rod or JayZ, It's some roadie or someone who knows someone who is building his own system. It would be a lot of work to set up just for 18 inputs. My studio has two MX-2424's for live gigs. They sync up giving me 48 tracks and plug right into the Aux-outs of any sound board. No computer needed, meters right on the front! (to keep things clear, I do bring these projects back to the studio to edit in PT) I don't have anywhere near the $ these guys have but there are more viable options. I still agree with Basslik.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
This thread will relieve you of #1:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=248174

I find it totally laughable that they claim to be unable to publish reproducible specs because of an NDA with some unnamed company.

Can't you see how you're being manipulated?

(And just because you're famous, doesn't mean you're somehow immune to that. Psychics anyone? $cientology? )

The 2626 costs about as much as these mods and unless you need the CPTK the feature set certainly and sonics most likely destroy any modded 003R. It can be run standalone into the ADAT in of the 003R to add 8 great ADCs/DACs or 8 decent pres. And any outboard you buy instead will have far better resale value and longevity in your setup. E.g. Mackie 800r.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 PM

I read the entire thread and the main thing I agree on is something P-tree said and I quote, "There is no way for them to re-architect the interfaces at those prices...they can't alter the PLL, they can basically just make the thing sound brighter or whatever. So can you with the free Digi III EQ."
Someone on that other thread said he had some old mixes that he recorded on a stock unit and when he played it back on the BL mod it sounded better, so what was the point of his comment? Didn't make his tracking session any better...anything sounds better when it's louder. Ever flip through some of the presets in a limiter? THEY ALL SOUND BETTER! Got to be careful about judging material when EQ and Loudness may be involved, could cost you a lot of money!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Well you know, a common thread in my contributions is that I simply don't enjoy watching people be ripped off.

There is a dark side to business, and it is from those people who have decided it's a zero-sum game: for them to win, someone else has to lose.

That's almost never true.

I'll make another point: for most people considering these mods, sonics in general are not the weakest link in their chain. It's just so easy to spend money and make yourself feel better for a couple weeks. You get discouraged with your work and start looking at your credit card.

Look at your guitar instead.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Wowww... I can't believe som1 has started another new thread just to debate this... I don't know about Ciara but its a fact about Jay-Z... & for that matter a majority of tours are carrying 00x now, plays as well(also know this from fact)...

I know u guys see me around here being myself, fun or whateva u wanna call it(som dnt like my fun ways but who cares) but maybe u guys should go to Myspace & read my bio... I promise u I could grab an HD system or whateva else in a heartbeat(which is what we have @my Nashville spot) but once I read up on the mod & got the tweakhead back in 07(on the site & 1 thread of a few post on GS), they kept me from buying another HDrig for my Memphis studio & to add, they have my rack rite now upgrading it to the Sig mod... 2mths in waiting which was perfect timing for me being I had some projects I had to get done...

But seriously, & I said this on the OTHER NEW BLA thread in different words, if u have the money to do it, I don't even understand what all the questioning & thinking is about... If u dont have the money, toooo bad for u b/c I guarantee if/when u hear som1 elses rig with a mod u will be sick

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)