Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Default 2021.7 won't open & Older versions no longer available

I installed 2021.7 on my macbook pro (15" 2012 / 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / OSX Catalina (0.15.7 (19H1323)) and literally a few days after this my paid subscription ran out. Anyways Protools worked fine with all the versions before 2021.7 and now i can't even open it. It bogs then crashes. Have been trying a bunch of fixes I've found online but none have worked.

So I went into my avid account hoping to download and install the previous version that did work and there's no longer any links for downloading older versions. Only 2021.7 is listed under my downloads...

a few years ago I recall haveing access to every version that was avaiable while my subscription was active, even after it expired... Am i missing something? Need desperately to get PTs running again and of course I can't submit anything to Avid because now my subscription is over...

thanks in advance!!
Old 09-18-2021, 10:41 AM

Default Re: 2021.7 won't open & Older versions no longer available

Hi, welcome to the community.

Go to Avid Download Center, you can find every version since 12.6
Old 09-18-2021, 03:04 PM

"...my paid subscription ran out."

If you have a Subscription and it's run out, then Pro Tools won't open because your license has expired. You need to reup your Subscription.

If you actually have a Perpetual license, but you let your Upgrade & Support Plan lapse, then you have access to the last version of Pro Tools available before your Upgrade & Support Plan lapsed and, as Janne mentioned, older PT versions back to 12.6.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-19-2021, 08:58 AM

My subscription ran out on 8/6... but I have been able to get 2021.7 to open by opening directly a session file as opposed to hitting the desktop icon. Either way it quickly freezes or stays very slow and glitchy then is not responsive. If it was a matter of subscription not overlapping with the allowed license would it allow me to go this far?

I'm at the point now where i've downloaded and installed 2021.6, and everything seems to go off without a hitch but there's no icon to actually launch the program anywhere; not under applications or documents and searching the entire mac yields nothing. and it's not showing up in "MyAvid" under products. It just now gives me to option to install 2021.7.

So for the heck of it reinstalled 2021.7 via MyAvid and am getting the same results where it acts like it's open but nothing is happening.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:00 AM

If you have subscription license, you have current version. If you have perpetual license, you can use any version released on or before RELEASE_LIMIT date of your license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 AM

There have been widespread reports of UI lagginess and beachballs with PT 2021.7 for some people (not all). For some a "clean" install helped but not everybody has the time to try that (or accept that as a possible solution). Some people point the problem with some plugins, while others see the problem regardless of what plugins they have. Going beck to 2021.6 seems to help and some even went back to 2021.3. It all depends on how much troubleshooting you want to do.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 09-19-2021, 01:11 PM

Before clean install it is useful to throw all plugins to unused folder and try again. Even a single bad behaving plugin may cause that. But if it happens with stock plugins only, then yes, clean install is the way to go. But if getting rid of plugins helps, then the task is to find the offending plugin and either update it or stop using it.

I myself only really use clean installed systems, but after a major OS upgrade I naturally test "upgrade the apple way" and every single time my benchmarking shows it is a problem. Even if I do not have random problems that are hard to pin down, overall performance of the system is sluggish.