Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Re: What is the best PT10 version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What is so hard to understand about the question - is the PT10 license asset on your physical iLok?

People don't boot from external drives all the time. That is only for emergencies or to reload a system. Here's a thought - if your system drive is big enough partition it and load OSX 10.9.5 or OSX 10.8.5 and then load PT10. But you've already been told that.

The exception with the new iMac Pro is because it shipped with High Sierra and you can't install any OSX on that system. You never said what operating system was on your computer.

You think you found a full OSX installer on Amazon for which OSX version? I highly doubt that it's legit.
I wish you were not so angry about this. I'm having a hard enough time here. I'm freaked because I have all this stuff to work on that I was told by the vendor would open just fine with the new system.

Like I said, the PT10 license has been deposited to my iLok account, but I have not activated it to any iLok or computer yet. I have two iLoks, an old version, and a new one. I only have one activation available on the license.

May I ask why you want to know whether the "asset" is on my physical iLok? [By "asset", I am assuming you mean the license activation. Is that right?]

I do have a huge 2TB drive in my laptop, with tons of space available. It is running High Sierra [updated from Sierra, which was installed when I purchased the computer]. Is there any way of partitioning the drive without erasing it and having to reinstall everything again. Probably a silly question, but anyhow.......

I went to Amazon.com, did a search for "Mac OS Lion", and the third item down in what was returned from the search is "Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion v. 10.8.5 Full OS Install - Reinstall / Recovery....
Do you think its a fake?

Help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
I wish you were not so angry about this. I'm having a hard enough time here. I'm freaked because I have all this stuff to work on that I was told by the vendor would open just fine with the new system.

Like I said, the PT10 license has been deposited to my iLok account, but I have not activated it to any iLok or computer yet. I have two iLoks, an old version, and a new one. I only have one activation available on the license.

May I ask why you want to know whether the "asset" is on my physical iLok? [By "asset", I am assuming you mean the license activation. Is that right?]

I do have a huge 2TB drive in my laptop, with tons of space available. It is running High Sierra [updated from Sierra, which was installed when I purchased the computer]. Is there any way of partitioning the drive without erasing it and having to reinstall everything again. Probably a silly question, but anyhow.......

I went to Amazon.com, did a search for "Mac OS Lion", and the third item down in what was returned from the search is "Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion v. 10.8.5 Full OS Install - Reinstall / Recovery....
Do you think its a fake?

Help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

MD
I am not angry just speaking/writing the truth and trying to deal with someone who apparently can't get a handle on these types of things. I mean - what could be simpler than understanding where your PT10 license asset is? If it's not on your physical iLok then you need to get it on there. Without that you'll never be able to use PT10. PT10 does not use the old key-style blue piece that could take a sim-type card. You need an iLok2 or iLok3 with the license asset on it. Asset means just that - what is needed to use PT. Like a driver's license for driving a car.

Partitioning a hard drive is easy and is done from right within OSX using OSX disk utility. You can partition a drive without erasing the drive. I suggest making Google your friend on how to do the deed. There are some things you're going to have to work out on your own and this is one.

That Amazon one might be legit; according to what's written it's only good on certain Macs. And your machine is not one of those. But this depends on what EXACT MBP you have. Before we go any further that info is needed. If you can't provide that then wheels are just being spinned.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I am not angry just speaking/writing the truth and trying to deal with someone who apparently can't get a handle on these types of things. I mean - what could be simpler than understanding where your PT10 license asset is?
Well you actually just come off as a bit obnoxious and condescending. You have no idea who you are "talking" to, do you? Or what I have a handle on. Why would you assume that I "can't get a handle" on something just because I asked a couple of questions.

To be frank, you don't seem to be reading what I write before you spout off. I told you pretty much from the jump where the "asset" was. I honestly couldn't figure out why you would be concerned about it. I find it ridiculous that you would think I would be unaware that it would have to be activated to run the software. I also find it ridiculous that you would think I should activate it way before it is needed [See below].

Quote:
If it's not on your physical iLok then you need to get it on there. Without that you'll never be able to use PT10.

Reeeallly?? Well I guess I could be a dumbass and activate the license way before I have everything else in place. That way the time limit on the license can start to run way before I can even use it. Is that what you do?

Quote:
PT10 does not use the old key-style blue piece that could take a sim-type card. You need an iLok2 or iLok3 with the license asset on it.
If you would bother to read what I wrote, you would see that I already told you that I have the proper iLok.

Quote:
Asset means just that - what is needed to use PT. Like a driver's license for driving a car.
Wow.

Quote:
Partitioning a hard drive is easy and is done from right within OSX using OSX disk utility. You can partition a drive without erasing the drive. I suggest making Google your friend on how to do the deed. There are some things you're going to have to work out on your own and this is one.
Yeah, I'm already on that. But thanks. I was just trying to have a conversation, you know, like with friends?

Quote:
That Amazon one might be legit; according to what's written it's only good on certain Macs. And your machine is not one of those. But this depends on what EXACT MBP you have. Before we go any further that info is needed. If you can't provide that then wheels are just being spinned.
I think you mean "wheels are just being spun". I suggest making Google your friend and doing a search for "conjugation of verbs / spin / English language" [omit the quotes].

Sarcasm generator off.

Anyhow, I really do thank you for helping and taking the time to respond. Now let's play nice.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM

I'm bumping this partial reply so it doesn't get lost in the "back and forth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
If it's purely for the purpose of converting sessions that have SDII files, then you could do one of two things.

1. Install PT10 alongside your new version on the newer OS. They can co-exist, and it will function, but the menus & plug-in menus will behave erratically. For your purpose this does not matter. Also, the Un-Installer will not work. If you want to remove it, you'll have to delete each file manually.
Are there instructions on how to delete each file manually? What files have to be deleted?

Quote:
2. Run the older Mac OSX 10.9.5 in a virtual machine such as VirtualBox(free) or VMWare Fusion.

Quote:
Either way, simply load your SDII session into PT10, Save Copy In, and choose your save parameters. Close out, and open your newly converted session in PT12 etc.
Does PT10 do anything different as far as converting sessions than PT7.3 would do? I have a rig with PT7.3 on it in storage. I just don't have much room to set it up where I am now.

Also, as I understand, booting from an external disk that has a "non-supported OS" is at least potentially problematic. What is the difference between doing that and installing a "non-supported OS" on an internal disk partition [along with PT10] and booting from that partition? Anyone?

Thanks,

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 01-23-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Well you actually just come off as a bit obnoxious and condescending. You have no idea who you are "talking" to, do you? Or what I have a handle on. Why would you assume that I "can't get a handle" on something just because I asked a couple of questions.

To be frank, you don't seem to be reading what I write before you spout off. I told you pretty much from the jump where the "asset" was. I honestly couldn't figure out why you would be concerned about it. I find it ridiculous that you would think I would be unaware that it would have to be activated to run the software. I also find it ridiculous that you would think I should activate it way before it is needed [See below].

Reeeallly?? Well I guess I could be a dumbass and activate the license way before I have everything else in place. That way the time limit on the license can start to run way before I can even use it. Is that what you do?

If you would bother to read what I wrote, you would see that I already told you that I have the proper iLok.

Wow.

Yeah, I'm already on that. But thanks. I was just trying to have a conversation, you know, like with friends?

I think you mean "wheels are just being spun". I suggest making Google your friend and doing a search for "conjugation of verbs / spin / English language" [omit the quotes].

Sarcasm generator off.

Anyhow, I really do thank you for helping and taking the time to respond. Now let's play nice.
I was playing nice but dealing with your answers has been frustrating. And it wasn't that you asked questions but came across as not understanding what's going on.

Don't know what time limit you're talking about but if it's the 30 day subscription deal or the one year setup then that time starts from when you make the purchase and not when the license asset gets put on your iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I was playing nice but dealing with your answers has been frustrating. And it wasn't that you asked questions but came across as not understanding what's going on.

Don't know what time limit you're talking about but if it's the 30 day subscription deal or the one year setup then that time starts from when you make the purchase and not when the license asset gets put on your iLok.

Hmm, with my purchased license[s], time starts running from activation.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm, with my purchased license[s], time starts running from activation.
Interesting. Another poster here in another thread got told his time started when he purchased PT (this was by jeffro IIRC). What he did was to purchase PT12 back about the time it first came out but never installed/activated it so he had the earliest revision. Now he goes to install and finds he needs the current revision of PT12 except he can't because his time had expired. He was on the yearly plan.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 AM

That's because the Pro Tools license completely changed after v12.5
12.0 > 12.5 same license
12.6 > new license.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
That's because the Pro Tools license completely changed after v12.5
12.0 > 12.5 same license
12.6 > new license.
If you're talking about my post above that's not how it was explained in the thread I'm referencing (wish I had bookmarked it). It was because the person in questions time had run out according to the plan he had.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:34 PM

its the activation date that starts the clock.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ctivation-date

Stay in school, don't do drugs, no hobos.

MD