Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Default HELP!!! "A CPU OVERLOAD ERROR" Everytime I track or playback

Ok every time I track or play back anything I get this error: "A CPU OVERLOAD ERROR OCCURED. If this happens often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins.(-6101).
This happens on every session, from the very first track. Usually seconds into the recording and/or playback from previous work. I've had the computer and Protools about 6 months and for the first 3 months it ran great. Then this error started. For the last 3 months I have not used my protools to record, but I need to get this fixed. I've taken the computer in to have someone look at it to see what it might be and the "apple expert" said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked about possible "virus issues" and I was told getting a virus on these apple computers are very rare. Also was told if it was a processor going bad it would just stop working. So i'm hoping someone might have some insight. I'll post my system and info below ... Please help OHHH AND YESSS I adjusted the buffer size just like it said and same result. And there are NO PLUG ins used since it happens right away on first track...

Computer: Apple PowerPC G5 - Dual 2.3 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8 version
Memory: 8GB DDR2 SDRAM
Main HD: 250GB
2nd HD (internal): 2TB
2 External HD's (firewire connection): 250gb/each
PRO-TOOLS: 8.0.1 M-Powered
Interface: M-Audio Fast Track
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! "A CPU OVERLOAD ERROR" Everytime I track or playback

Hey guys i'm having the same problem..
I have about 10 audio tracks and Reason 5 in Rewire.
No plug ins my RTAS sytem usage is at 3%?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM

i've had this happen in protools 8(.05) m-powered on my macbook pro
2.26 intel dual 4gigs, running leopard.

it does it when i adjust a reverb size on a plugin while a track is playing.
cpu usage meters are low 0-1% and 4% for rtas, but i never saw them spike when i got the error.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM

I am experiencing a similar issue. I am running a 15" macbook pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3. OS X 10.5.8. Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 with an Mbox 2 Mini.
I have been using pro tools LE8 infrequently for a couple of years, predominantly on a rack 003 at home and then now the mbox mini whilst away. I have never experienced this error previously useing either hardware.
Both tracks that i have written previously using the rack, and new tracks initiated with mbox mini throw up this error within 10 seconds of hitting play.
I read a number of posts noting that this could be caused by McAfee anti-virus software, which i have now thoroughly uninstalled (as far as i can tell).
I have also tried writing the new track to an external drive with 100GB excess capacity. Issue still stands.