Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-16-2023, 10:37 PM

Default S1 Feature Request: Ability to use rec/a button to enable TRIM MODE

Coming from a DCommand one of the best things about it was each channel has a dedicated trim button, I work in trim mode far more than any other automation mode (from a surface at least) due to constantly adjusting levels of previously (meticulously) written automation or fades etc.

On DCommand you just press the button by the fader and it jumps to unity gain and you can trim away.

On the S1 I've set up shortcuts to hold down a user button or a button on the touchscreen and THEN press select for the channel in question but it would be so much easier and nicer to just be able to select a third option in the prefs for the Rec/A button (I never use "REC" btw so for me it's always in auto mode). If it could have an update to allow you to choose which 2 functions you want that button to perform (and which one should be shifted) that would be great. I'd occasionally put it into touch write mode (normal auto) but by default it would be on trim so I could jump in and out rapidly for all tracks, you could make the red+green LEDS flash together maybe? in time with the TRIM altert pulse on the 'trim warning' button.

I have "coalesce trim automation" on a touchscreen button so that's O.K, but getting it into trim mode is kinda awkward right now!

Hopefully you'll consider this as that button sees very little use for me as it is which is a waste and a shame. Sure I've been spoiled on the 24 fader D-Command for years but the S1 has some upsides too, it would be even better with this additional option!

Thanks
Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 AM

Default Re: S1 Feature Request: Ability to use rec/a button to enable TRIM MODE

Great idea. Having that option on both S1 and S3 would be incredibly useful.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:01 AM

+1 great idea. Perhaps it could be implemented with a modifier key?
Old 01-17-2023, 08:11 AM

This would be nice, and like you I spend 90% of my mix time in Trim. If you have a Dock it's basically a two-button push - really for me, the automation controls are what make a Dock indispensable (auto modes, preview/punch, write to start/end/all, enable/disable).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-17-2023, 08:53 AM

Glad it's not just me who'd find it very useful.

Yeah I can currently make it a 2-button thing, if I surrender one of the user buttons at the bottom (pressing one hand on the touch screen and holding it while I press select on a track isn't very ergonomic), but I don't want to give up those user buttons which are already in short supply and used for even more frequent tasks.

On D-Command it was just a SINGLE button press which feels much better (to me I use it almost as much as solo/mute - imagine those functions being 2 keys or shifted keys to use!?).

The dock is cool, and I had all the transport stuff on the D-Command too, I don't miss THAT part so much (user buttons on S1 + touchscreen give me plenty of control there) but space on my desk is tight hence moving to a single S1 which I love in every other way.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:21 PM
Avid

We did add another command to this button for the next release but it's not what you want unfortunately (but plenty of others) Now we have a way to select different combos I'll look into adding auto/trim as an option for the following release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-17 161909.jpg (18.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2023, 05:10 PM

To the OP: not a perfect solution, but I very frequently hit Option/Trim (labeled Alt/Trim) on my S3/Dock, which puts everything in Trim without having to specify which channel. And it feels like a single button press because it's just a modifier and button. FWIW.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
We did add another command to this button for the next release but it's not what you want unfortunately (but plenty of others) Now we have a way to select different combos I'll look into adding auto/trim as an option for the following release.
Thanks Eddie, this would be great!

To the above poster, thanks for the tip... though I'm guessing as it puts everything into trim mode it'll also take everything OUT of trim mode when you hit it again, I definitely need discrete control of each channel as some can stay in trim mode longer than temporary quick tweaked tracks.

Thanks both.