Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Re: PT 9.0.5 with Lion - unable to open other MIDI apps open as standalone

I know it has been awhile, but after speaking with a senior technical support representative for nearly 3 hours a couple of weeks ago, we were still unable to resolve the problem with the DigiDioMidiDriver crashing every other application that accesses MIDI (including Audio/MIDI Setup). His only other suggestion was for me to wipe my computer clean and reinstall everything from the ground up, which is what I have done.

Nonetheless, after reinstalling the latest versions of everything and checking on their official compatibility status, I regret to inform you that the DigiDioMidiDriver still causes every other application to crash.

Below is a list of applications I have had crash with this driver installed:

Audio/MIDI Setup
Live 8.2.7
Logic 9.1.6
Reason 5.0

Has anyone else had any luck with resolving this problem?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: PT 9.0.5 with Lion - unable to open other MIDI apps open as standalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesong View Post
I had this same exact issue. This may not work for you or even be applicable, but I solved my issue by removing an old Wave Rider MIDI driver/plugin from Macintosh HD >> Library >> Audio >> MIDI Drivers. The file was called WaveRiderDriver.plugin. Once that was removed all of my apps no longer hanged when scanning MIDI, even Pro Tools 9.

If it's applicable, give it a try.
Latest Wave Rider v2.1 is Lion compatible, this is no longer an issue.

Cheers

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

I need to use the 002 midi ports so deleting the driver is not an option. DIGI SUPPORT - when will this be fixed in PT 9?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM

BUMP.

I just purchased a new machine with OS-X Lion and was excited to get my outboard synth gear running through my 002 as well as my midisport 2x2 anniv. ed. Turns out that neither have functioning drivers in Lion.

I am able to recognize my interface in Lion, but midi i/o window reports an error

Quote:
Audio MIDI Setup couldn’t open the MIDI Server so you can’t view or edit your MIDI configurations.
If you recently installed a new MIDI driver, try uninstalling it and then open Audio MIDI Setup again. If Audio MIDI Setup works correctly after that, contact the driver’s manufacturer for further support.
this is what i am given after a FRESH 20 minute old install of Lion. I haven't installed PT LE or any other DAW, I just wanted to verify that there was nothing else causing the problem.

after installing the 002r standalone driver, (002 and 003 Driver 9.0_r3.mpkg) I get the above quoted error.
Its frustrating to have a couple thou in synths and not be able to interface with them.

I can be patient, but give us some hope.

thanks
Dave
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Arrow Re: PT 9.0.5 with Lion - unable to open other MIDI apps open as standalone

Best solution
Buy a new audio interface (any really) and leave the 002 and 003 for the museum
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM

I have that same problem when I try to use Finale. I'm running PT 9.0.6 and I have to open PT first or Finale won't open. It stops at "initializing core midi". After I open PT with Finale I can close PT and I can still access Finale, but if I quit Finale I have to open PT again.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

So you're saying that the OS doesn't initialize/activate the Midi ports until you open up a PT session? does that report as well in your audio-midi setup? I am assuming that you're running this on some recent variant of OS-X...

I will have to give this a try.

Quote:
Best solution
Buy a new audio interface (any really) and leave the 002 and 003 for the museum
02-07-2012 10:16 PM
I'm shopping around. And there are plenty of options. That have updated drivers too.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 AM

Angry Re: PT 9.0.5 with Lion - unable to open other MIDI apps open as standalone

Bump. Also having the same issue, crashes in DigiDio. This renders the MIDI ports on my 002 Rack completely useless. Same old same old from Avid.

I'm actually just re-installing Pro Tools after a hiatus since I lost my iLok and got so fed up with the Digi support mess that was trying to get it fixed I couldn't be bothered. I finally managed to get my licenses transferred to my iLok last night and end up with this...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM

I was having these same problems on my new MacBook Pro and Lion 10.7.2

I fixed it by having the Apple Store put Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on there.

Everything is working now; PT, Logic, Ableton, Peak, & Serato for me.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
Here's a copy of my reply to another thread:

This may or may not help you, but it did help me with MIDI hang after upgrading to Lion. Symptom was the same, so the problem and its fix may be as well? Good luck!

http://jnote.org/29
This is the fix gents, just in case you didn't see it! Thanks a trillion times over Mahko! You're a life saver!