Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 AM

Default 6.7 Timecode generation problem

Has anyone else noticed that when generating code the disk activity doubles?
We had noticed this in 6.4 and earlier versions when the Tempo Map had changes in it but it seems to be there all the time with 6.7.

Method: Newly initialized SCSI disk. New session 48 track 24 bit. Record all 48 without generating code gives about a 50:50 access to the disk. Putting on-line and generating code the disk just about maxes out.

G5
Atto UL4D
OS X.3.7
PT 6.7cs5

OK I know that this is not a 'compatable' set up, but I suspect that this will be the same with our 'compatable' G4 and G5 systems when I can get access to them to try it out. It was with our earlier v6.4 experiments.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: 6.7 Timecode generation problem

Sorry, I forgot to say it only happens when in record. There is no problem when in replay.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:22 PM

I have had problems with this exact same scenario. This is a critical issue which needs to be addressed.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 AM

At last someone else has seen this !!!
There was also a problem in 6.4 if the Tempo map was altered.
I have been able to demonstrate this in 6.4 to a Digidesign Technical Support engineer who came to the studio, and when I realised that it is there all the time in 6.7 I have not put out 6.7 for general use.
I have reported it to Digidesign Support on the email form and have had no reply, and I also phoned the US support line and I was assured that it would be pursued, but I have heard absolutely nothing back.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 AM

Actually I think the title of this thread is incorrect. It should be just "6.4 Timecode generation problem".

Yes, 6.7 has problems ALL the time while recording, but it does not appear to be related to timecode generation.

Either way, I am now totally screwed if I need to simultaneously record a lot of tracks while generating code - as neither 6.4 nor 6.7 is capable. And since I recently upgraded my HD to Accel I can't even go back to OS9 in an emergency.