Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2002, 11:58 AM

Default Sample Tank..How?

Hi all, Sorry for this silly question, But how would I use sample tank with PT or Digital Performer? Do I need extra Hardware? How would I hook It up etc?

Any run down of how you have it set up and use it would be great. I would like to buy Sample tank but need help conceptulizeing a synth that is a Plug in.

Thanx Peace
NoteFarm
Old 10-03-2002, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Sample Tank..How?

download sampletank free.

It's really easy to setup :

Create a stereo aux track

Add the sampletank plug-in on insert A

Create a midi track

Open the plug-in window for sample tank and load a sound into the first channel, there's a strip of them at the bottom of the window.

The name of the instrument you loaded will appear in the midi device popup on the midi track you created. Choose it.

That's about as complicated as it gets, for additional tracks you just create another midi track and load another patch into the another channel using the sampletank plug-in.

It's a pain have 1 stereo output for all the midi tracks but that's digidesign's fault for not implementing multiple outputs on RTAS plug-ins.

Enabling "latched" solo buttons in protools prefs will let you solo the midi track and the aux with the sampletank plug-in so you can do a submix of that channel for further editing, effects etc...

I wouldn't personally get sampletank as anything other than a tone module, for real sampling you need either Unity DS-1, Unity Session or Kontakt. I'd try demos of both of those too if you're brave.

Kontakt is a total cpu hog, on closer examination the multisamples used in half the demo patches are FAR larger than necessary and it only allows a measly 8 stereo outputs via direct connect while unity, although it seems quite buggy and a little overpriced to me, has a low latency RTAS plug-in that gives a stereo output for every midi channel or it uses Direct Connect which has higher latency but still allows a full 16 stereo outputs to share between the midi channels.

Although sampletank is currently the only fully RTAS tone module, there's bound to be more to come from other companies in the future and IK have promised to turn into a true software sampler when version 2 comes out so if you want a decent sampler plug-in with useable latency and decent quality, It's all a waiting game right now.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:37 PM

SampleTank should be inserted on audio trk.
It will not work on auxilary trk.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:06 PM

Quote:
SampleTank should be inserted on audio trk.

It will not work on auxilary trk.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">not true in Protools LE, you can put RTAS synth plug-ins on aux tracks aswell as audio tracks. It's how I do it anyway and it works perfectly. I know TDM systems don't have this luxury and need to sacrifice audio tracks to do this but with LE having limited audio tracks I believe digidesign allowed us more I/O flexibility with auxes to get round that limitation when using plug-in instruments.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It's how I do it anyway and it works perfectly
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">John, that's how I do it also... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] works like a charm...

Old 10-03-2002, 07:31 PM

Same here. Stereo Aux track.

I'm a bit peeved though that ST LE (which I got with the guitar colllection) has only 4 channels available seeing as the free version has 16!
Old 10-03-2002, 11:48 PM

Re: John H.

Hi John,
I found the cause why the Aux trk didn't work for me...
When using the Audio trk, there was no need to assign an input.
Although, on Aux trk, I had to assign any of these inputs:
mic/line 1-2, Analog 3-4~7-8, Adat 1-2~7-8, s/pdif1-2 from "interface" to hear the SampleTank.
Is this the way you are working?

tia

Cheers,

John
Old 10-04-2002, 12:27 AM

Thanx all you guys for the input and help full sugestions.

This is the coolest place on the net,

Thanx again,

NoteFarm