Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Default Avid S3L and AVB

Can the S3L ingest other AVB streams on its network, or is it limited to the stage boxes that Avid is selling? Thinking really hard about buying one of these little things. Looks like it could be a lot of fun, especially if we can route to/from AVB io.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Avid S3L and AVB

Looks like it's work in progress...Pivitec has shown a technology preview of what could be done with their personal mixers and upcoming 4.5 software seems a bit more open, but still I see only one Pro Tools system per Engine supported so that leaves a question if and how easily the AVB feed is accessible. Also it seems that it might be that only signals from the Owner engine can be routed to a given stage box outputs making routing capabilities somewhat limited. We'll see, it's just preliminary info about software that is not even out yet.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Actually, the PIVITEC solution is a GREAT ONE! I'm in the process of finalizing a major overhaul to the entire sound system for a large church congregation in southern Georgia that will be based around a 64-channel S3L console, and a 9-station PIVITEC AVB system, all controlled wireless via (9) APPLE iPad Mini's that will be on-stage. AVB (Audio Video Bridging) is the future of digital connectivity as it no longer requires a physical audio connection to be in the path of the signal flow---this is what makes the S3L such a great option! Without AVB you'd need to have at least (2) stage racks just to have a 16-channel personal mix system, as each box has (8) analog outputs. This can be a logistical nightmare--because frankly the design of the S3L is that you can place these stage boxes anywhere you want them to be. For example this large upgrade I've designed and installing will (1) STAGE RACK in the booth for the wireless while the other (3) will be spaced along the back of the stage. In the center of the stage there will be a nice wood rack that will have (1) Stage Box with a PIVITEC hub and (9) of the rack I/O units. We're going to pull a CAT6 line from the FOH booth to the Stage, terminated into a wall plate---then plugging into the first box, chaining to the middle box, chaining to the Pivitec unit, chaining to the third box, back into a terminated wall outlet that goes back to the console. Oh yeah, an iMac with Pro Tools will be connected as well.

Right now AVB is a new technology, but it works---and again, it IS the future. The S3L is a killer little console---I have my own demo console in my office. It's not for everyone, afterall AVID wants you to spend more money on more expensive consoles if you need to---but the S3L is designed for many working professionals, churches, clubs, etc.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call 404.844.9758 and I'm sure I can answer your questions
Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I personally am interested in using a format converter to utilize someone else's preamps to get their pre amp flavor but to mix and record to pro tools using the great venue platform. And I really want something portable!