Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 03:51 PM

Default Sounds get brighter after record enable and when played back. Why?

Hi

I just noticed a thing

If I use a guitar plugin in pro tools, playing when record enabeled, then press record I hear some slightly changes in the brightness. (its a bit darker nd maybe 3D when I play when record enabled) Its like that it adds some top end to the sound. When I play back it has the same added brightness (and I also feel it has lost some 3D dimension). I have tried with several guitar amps and its the same thing. Its kina subtle effect but is very noticable if I use a very bright guitar sound. Then the sound gets noticeable brigheter after its recorded.

How is this explained?

I use 44.1 24.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Sounds get brighter after record enable and when played back. Why?

Oh come on hundreds of posts here, and could you give less info?

What exact version of Pro Tools?

Electric? Acoustic? What guitar? What exact pickups? What (several) amp sims? What roughly are you set them up to do? Like heavy distortion, light compressed tones, etc. or describe a song that has similar stuff on it. What interface?

You got hardware monitoring enabled in addition to software monitoring? (don't assume, go check). Being confused by hardware monitoring may be a part of this story.

When not in track record you have track input monitoring enabled? You running a version of Pro Tools with track input monitoring? ... Who knows because you don't give any actual useful info

You got low latency monitoring enabled?

You simplified this yet and got this to happen with just a session with a single guitar audio track and amp sim, with no other bussing or other plugins?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-07-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:12 PM

Ok

Pr Tools HD 12.4.0

Same with all guitars. Electric. I have tried several amp sims like eleven, th-u etc. yes heavy distortion. Avid Omni lne in (using another DI)

Quote:
You got hardware monitoring enabled in addition to software monitoring? (don't assume, go check). Being confused by hardware monitoring may be a part of this story.
Not sure what s the difference? How can I check this?

No input monitoring enabled. Yes my Pro Tools has it.
No low latency monitoring

No bussing. with and without other plugins
Old 12-09-2021, 12:44 PM

So Pro Tools HD Native 12.x Not HDX. If it's HDX this is a different discussion.

You are using an Omni... which has an onboard hardware mixer. You want to make sure that's not possibly a factor here. I can't even guess how it might be, but it's got to be a suspect. Open up the Omni documentation and have a read, make sure that mixer is disabled. Even better... play with it until you can hear stuff though it to understand, then make sure it's disabled.

What exact DI are you using? And why Line In not Mic in? What exactly are you connecting to what?

Leave low latency monitoring *not* checked.

But I am not following what you are doing--if you don't have track input monitoring enabled you won't hear the guitar at all until until you put the track into record... then how do you tell it's brighter? That does not make sense.... unless you are purely hearing the guitar DI via the monitoring mixer... in which case you should not be hearing a distorted amp, just a clean/weak guitar signal or maybe horrible sounding overloaded DI/preamp especially if a active pickup. Again do this with a single track session, no bussing/sends/other plugins. Almost sounds like you might be punching in on a track and listening to the prerecorded audio???

The point of asking for details is to work out what is going on. Powered pickups vs. non-powered, hot humbuckers vs. single coil etc. So please what exactly is connected to what/how, can you actually answer the questions asked in detail.

I would simplify stuff as much as possible. Use the internal Omni DI. Make sure the hardware mixer is off. One mono audio track, one guitar amp plugin. Nothing else.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-09-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:01 AM

Sorry late follow up on this tread

Yes Avid Omni monitor mixer is disabled

I use a Little Labs DI which is Line out into Line in 4 on the Omni

Low latency monitoring is off

Yes I have the record enabled on the track but not recording. The change happens when Im recording.

The DI signal is not distorted. I have distortion on the plugin amp

Thanks for helping. I will invesigate next time I notice it.
As said before its a very very subtle change.

Cheers